Better to be positive CA LEO

mkb116

Established Member
Haha, don't get your panties in a bunch this is an internet forum. This is an LEO only thread right? Do you see my threads being deleted? (1 + 1 = ?) I prefer not to be listed on 'the list'.

How am I being an ass? I said I apologize. What more do you want.

Next time just id yourself as a certified agent with the D.O.I. So everyone knows your not Joe Citizen. :)

Last edited:

tama

Mastermind
Established Member
Haha, don't get your panties in a bunch this is an internet forum. This is an LEO only thread right? Do you see my threads being deleted? (1 + 1 = ?) I prefer not to be listed on 'the list'.

How am I being an ass? I said I apologize. What more do you want.

Next time just id yourself as a certified agent with the D.O.I. So everyone knows your not Joe Citizen. :)

My apologies as well for also being an ass. It just sounded very sarcastic. I figured you were a LEO but didn't see you screenname listed so I thought I ask to be sure.:beer:

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
It IS kinda weird, though, that you didn't know it was illegal to drive in CA without a valid license being an insurance agent........ I'm on mkb116's side on this one.

BTW, there is no such thing as an international driver's license.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
BTW, there is no such thing as an international driver's license.

I dont know if you are aguing semantics, but there is a recognized "International Driving Permit."

U.S. State Dept said:
International Driving Permits

Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an international driving permit (IDP). IDPs are honored in more than 150 countries outside the U.S. (See AAA’s application form for the list of countries. They function as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into 10 foreign languages. These licenses are not intended to replace valid U.S. state licenses and should only be used as a supplement to a valid license. IDPs are not valid in an individual’s country of residence. Before departure, you can obtain one from an automobile association authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue IDPs. Article 24 of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (1949) authorizes the U.S. Department of State to empower certain organizations to issue IDPs to those who hold valid U.S. driver’s licenses. The Department has designated the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance as the only authorized distributors of IDPs.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1179.html

Jefe

Established Member
*removed by moderator - verified L.E.O.s only*

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
CA doesn't recognize "International Driving Permits" or licenses or anything like it......they're too easy to get over the internet or on a street corner. It's an Urban Myth. People visiting from other countries can get temporary permits, but they're supposed to be issued by the state and are VERY distinctive. And they're "California permits"...... just to clarify

tama

Mastermind
Established Member
Regarding not having a social security to obtain a CA DL. Found this off the CA DMV Website. Apparently you can obtain a CA DL without one granted you provide other information as well.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#SSN

I also pulled this paragraph from the same site:

International Driving Permits
The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.

The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person’s foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database.

The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread