better performance...what should i do?!?!?

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
so i got a 2000 3.8L v6 mustang and dont really know what to buy:shrug: ...should i replace the stock exhaust and get an off road x-pipe with magnaflow cat back or would the money be better spent adding something else? prolly lookin at spending around $1500 thanks guys!

Last edited:

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
back in the day i had a v6.. I did exhaust, intake and some other mods..
Eventually i picked up a v8.. That was the best mod i could do.

So if you can, i'd say pick up a GT and then start modding from there..

spike_africa

Established Member
An X-pipe is the worst idea ever its an even firing motor and that wont help it. Your best bet is a power adder if you actually want it to be faster. You can toss all the bolt on's you want but until you add some kind of power adder be it nitrous,turbo,supercharger it wont be much faster.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
An X-pipe is the worst idea ever its an even firing motor and that wont help it. Your best bet is a power adder if you actually want it to be faster. You can toss all the bolt on's you want but until you add some kind of power adder be it nitrous,turbo,supercharger it wont be much faster.
:beer:

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
you can spend over $3k for a power adder, or you can spend around $1000-1500 and buy 4.6L 2v engine complete and swap it in to make the same power and have a better platform for upgrades....

neatofrito1618

Established Member
you can spend over $3k for a power adder, or you can spend around $1000-1500 and buy 4.6L 2v engine complete and swap it in to make the same power and have a better platform for upgrades....
Buying and installing the actual motor is really only a very small part of doing a 4.6 swap, it's a HUGE pain in the ass that takes hundreds of man hours. You would be much better off buying a $1500 Procharger kit, spending a few hundred dollars on a used 8.8 and GT take-off exhaust, and getting it tuned and having somthing quicker than a stock PI GT.

Stangcharger

forged 4.2L v6
Established Member

untrue.

the 4.6L and the 3.8L have pretty close to the same stock internal limits 350rwhp 3.8L and around 400rwhp 4.6L. once forged the 3.8L block has yet to crack even under almost 700rwhp and that's complete stock block.

N/A the 4.6L has the avantage but after boost it is hard to tell. GT eater makes 660rwhp on 17lbs of boost on a single setup.

and on the mod question, state a budget and we can help you out better.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
untrue.

the 4.6L and the 3.8L have pretty close to the same stock internal limits 350rwhp 3.8L and around 400rwhp 4.6L. once forged the 3.8L block has yet to crack even under almost 700rwhp and that's complete stock block.

N/A the 4.6L has the avantage but after boost it is hard to tell. GT eater makes 660rwhp on 17lbs of boost on a single setup.

and on the mod question, state a budget and we can help you out better.

wait a second you say your v6 makes 660rwhp??? Let me see proof. I personally know a guy who has one of the fastest v6 stangs in the country. He is running a huge single turbo with custom race cams, race ported heads that are not stock, fully built block, return style fuel system, stand alone computer, etc. and he was only pushing just over 600whp running 9's in the 1/4 mile...

Stangcharger

forged 4.2L v6
Established Member
wait a second you say your v6 makes 660rwhp??? Let me see proof. I personally know a guy who has one of the fastest v6 stangs in the country. He is running a huge single turbo with custom race cams, race ported heads that are not stock, fully built block, return style fuel system, stand alone computer, etc. and he was only pushing just over 600whp running 9's in the 1/4 mile...

i never said mine lol. GT EAter's car makes 660rwhp. proof is at www.v6power.net. Matt at delk performance tunes his car i beleive. look at my sig, it doesnt say 660rwhp.

and your prolly referring to matt at delk performance who runs 638rwhp and runs 9.8's. I have done business with him. good guy. their out of tennessee, so i have no doubt you know him.

calm yourself :)

but both are on stock blocks. no strengthening of any kind as far as ive read. a 2 bolt main and everything. and i think Matt plans on more power.

Matt's is a single port setup and Gary's(GT Eater) is a split port setup.

Last edited:

neatofrito1618

Established Member
They're ported stock single port heads. Although they have some very nice flow numbers.

Stangcharger

forged 4.2L v6
Established Member
Dont waste your money. Let your mom have the V-6 and get yourself a gt atleast.

yes master. ;-)

or don't waste your money on a GT get a cobra. or pass both and get an LS1 or LS2 motor.

It's all what ya got and what numbers you want to see. my car has the hp and weight to go 11's. i havent hit it yet cause i dont go to the track almost at all. my goal is 500rwhp in my 3150lbs car. that will be plenty for me and is reachable with what i have.

my friend had an 03 cobra and that is all i would take over my car atm. a GT or n/a cobra would not do at all. and im a forged motor which means im good to well over 600rwhp if i wanted it.

everything takes money to make fast. it is just what you want to put it in. and i can tell you the v6 platform is well worth putting money into.

know your facts though. the 3.8 mustang motor is doing better than the GN motor did back in it's day. everyone laughed at it til it blew them away. no GN motor would make 660rwhp on 17psi.

Don't knock it yet.

232_turbo

Established Member
boost it. It is night and day diference. The bolts on wont gave ya much.

Start off with gears and a tune. Gears was one of my favorite mods next to the turbo of course....lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread