Beth thinks the clutch is too heavy...

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
That woman needs to do some leg presses.

The force required for my clutch reminds me every time I press it just how serious the power in my beast is.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
my little sister drives my 03 cobra sometimes. And she is a tiny 90 lbs. She also just learned to drive a manual this year. She kicksa$$ at driving this thing and hasn't complained at all about the heavy clutch. Probably because she doesn't have anything else to compare it to though.

:beer:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Everyone who has driven my car has complained about the heavy clutch. Feels fine to me.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Feels fine to me too. I think most reviewers have grown soft due the the proliferation of hydraulic clutches in the last 15 years.

Actually, it kind of peeves me that the vast majority of new car reviews are beginning to insist on a "no compromise" standard when evaluating modern sports cars.

Manufacturers have made many compromises to suit the tastes of the the Accord owner turned muscle car driver. Features like power locks, power windows, quiet suspensions, computerized HVAC systems, two-finder power steering, SOFT clutches, unobtrusive exhaust, maintenance free engines, power seats, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming mirrors, memory systems, and cruise control have sapped new product development efforts to the extreme. A REAL "drivers car"* does not need any of these upsell features.

Ask yourself: how soon would we have gotten a car like the 2003 Cobra if it weren't for the comfort concessions made to the mainstream driver?

I remember when Road&Track didn't review Accords and no Accord driver would have any use for a V8 Mustang. I like Accords, really. But there is no necessity to a 240hp Accord or a Mustang with power seats. The auto press has endeavoured to cross sell every car imaginable and, in doing so, dilluted the the character of just about every marque on the road.

If they don't like the clutch, f**k 'em. Get away from my Cobra, the formula works and I would not have it any other way.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox...thanks all.

*oh yes, I know who ownes this phrase:)

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
I meant "two-fingered" power steering.

I am lost without spell checker.....

Intense

Established Member
that was quite a statement she made...which is BS. she obviously has never driven a viper or '70 F-100 or a classic euro sports car. if she had, she would appreciate the clutch in the cobra.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Originally posted by Intense
that was quite a statement she made...which is BS. she obviously has never driven a viper or '70 F-100 or a classic euro sports car. if she had, she would appreciate the clutch in the cobra.

Got that right. Problem is, this is the fourth review critizing the Cobra clutch effort.

If you want a limp clutch go buy a M3. Yikes, I didn't say that did I?

Cobra'03

Established Member
If the 2nd writer is correct, Ford is working on a fix.

If so, several factors are in play:

1) The sensitivity of car companies to woman's input since they are making more and more decisions in car buying. If you doubt it, consider that there are women engineers who evaluate how user friendly dash switchgear is to those with long fingernails.

2) Ford is trying to attract switchover girly-men from Preludes and S2000's and other cars that require Minnie Mouse exertion. When ever someone drives my car, I always tell that it needs "manly inputs" to function well (that is clutch pressure, shift force, etc.).

POISNUS

Established Member
I used to drive my dad's 69 F-250 (around my brother's farm) wrecker with a four-speed, now that was a stiff clutch. But comparing apples to apples, for this clutch to hold the level of hp that they do they are relatively light. Much lighter than what was in my old 88GT, that had a FMS Heavy Duty unit. That thing felt like the wrecker truck sometimes.

Jason

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I must admit, after driving an automatic F-150 for the last 9 years and then putting 1200 miles on the Cobra the first week I had it, the left knee knew it had been exercised. :lol:
But its all good now..:beer:

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
If the 2nd writer is correct, Ford is working on a fix.

If so, several factors are in play:

1) The sensitivity of car companies to woman's input since they are making more and more decisions in car buying. If you doubt it, consider that there are women engineers who evaluate how user friendly dash switchgear is to those with long fingernails.

2) Ford is trying to attract switchover girly-men from Preludes and S2000's and other cars that require Minnie Mouse exertion. When ever someone drives my car, I always tell that it needs "manly inputs" to function well (that is clutch pressure, shift force, etc.).

You're absolutely right.

I question designing car features for the tail ends of the distribution. I don't complain when I can't get my 6' 3" carcass into a Honda Civic and Beth should not complain when the clutch is too heavy.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
When ever someone drives my car, I always tell that it needs "manly inputs" to function well (that is clutch pressure, shift force, etc.).
haha! Well put!:thumbsup:

ZXnVS

Established Member
The other advantage of our clutch is you'll always be able to spot a fellow Cobra owner by his massive, bulging left leg and tiny, atrophied right one. ;-)

Friendchicken

I'm not trying to be sexist, but a performance car is all about power, not comfort. A racing seat usually has very little adjustment outside of the mold. Steering input is not supposed to be dampened to sense all the little nuances of the road. Shifting is supposed to be notchy and mechanical for precision and durability. A clutch has to handle the load and provide instant rebound for power shifts...

all these reasons and more is why I like driving the cobra over an import or even a C5 vette. Mustang Cobra is keeping with raw performance and not compromising for comfort.

If you are a guy/girl who thinks it's hard to drive, find a car you can pretend to drive to the edge, cause my snake will let me know when I'm there.

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
Too Heavy clutch

i am sorry but the clutch in my Cobra feels great. If girly girly reporter says it too stiff tooo bad. I have sold the car to women and none of them have complained to me. If you want your clutch to implode at 2000 miles by all means get a whimpy pressure plate. Now the way Ford could fix this is put a hydralic clutch with a even heavier pressure plate and you would never even know it. The only thing about Hydralic clutches that drives me crazy is the delay between when you let out the clutch and when it engages. It is like a 1/2 sec and than it grabs. Its just not the way I like a clutch to grab. Anyway enough for now. See you soon Jim.:D

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
The other advantage of our clutch is you'll always be able to spot a fellow Cobra owner by his massive, bulging left leg and tiny, atrophied right one. ;-)

My right leg is usually extended at far forward as possible, with knee locked most of the time:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread