best year and why?

Rob Smith

Hey guys, first post in this forum, but long time SVT lurker poster.

Anyhow, my 95 cobra is almost a track only car, and I've been contiplating a lightning for my wife, and to pull the cobra to the track.

I found one today that matches the rio red of my cobra, but it was at a chevy dealership in an automall, and they are asking 23,9 for it. Its got 80k miles on it, and looks really clean, but with 80k and being a 00, KBB says its retail should be around 20,3.

Anyhow, I am going to buy one in the near future, and wanted to see what you guys thought/suggest.

The planned mods are an HCI shortblock, KB, small wet shot, dump it, 20s, and exhaust, not all at one of course.

So not knowing too much about the differences in the years, pros cons etc., I was hoping you all could shed some light for me. Thanx.

begone

Established Member
You can get a newer model for around that price, maybe alittle more. With less miles on it too. Wait a bit and look around.

gen2sonic

Established Member
go for an 03, They are deff goin 4 cheap now that production has stopped 4 the 04's,plus compared to the earlier models the heads on the 03-04 models are well improved. Just my 2cents.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
03-04 only because of the new head configuration. Other than that I would say 01-04 were equal. But if you plan to mod it that much, in the end it really wont matter what year you get.

Grey03L

SVT Dogg
Established Member
I bought my '03 DSG with extended warrant and 9,xxx miles on it for 26,405 out the door. I feel I got a pretty good deal on it. He was asking I think 29 for it. I paid $$ for it..so he let it come down a bit.
Then 3 days later I saw a blue one with about the same amount of miles with a sticker price of 27! And there's always room to talk them down. So the deals are out there.

I also have a 94 cobra and bought the truck to pull it around.

Good luck:beer:

OH-MAN

Established Member
03 also If you are towing with it they have a higher rear spring rate plus the improved heads. worth the extra money

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
dude your going to plop a motor in it anyway so it really doesent matter what you get and what miles
but the late 02 and up have more threads for the plugs, but i have never had a problem with my 00

Users who are viewing this thread