Best Wireless card for PC

joemayo

Established Member
Looking to cancel my home internet and go either At&T,werizon,sprint wireless card for my laptop. I'm a commercial diver so I'm gone a week at a time or 3-4 weeks.. The Boat doesn't go out very far maybe 10 or so miles. When I have a job that's a few hours out will these cards be able to pick up? Are they ran by satellite or only cell phone towers? Anyone work offshore that can point me in the right direction?

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
I'm not sure on the satellite versus cell towers for reception, but Sprit should be able to point you in the right direction and let you know the answer on that one.

One thing I do recomend is getting the wireless card that is specifically made for you laptop versus USB design. The USB design is great for using the service for multiple computers, but sacrifices reception in my experience.

Also, 5 gigs is a lot of downloading and is more than sufficient unless you are downloading a lot of full length movies. I complained about the 5 gig limit at first and never went over it once.

txyaloo

Established Member
At 10 miles out, you're going to be SOL. 8 miles is about the limit for cell service and that is with great conditions.

I find it easy to go over the 5gb limit. Thankfully I have 3 cards grandfathered under Verizon's old unlimited plan that was actually unlimited.

As for USB vs Expresscard vs PCMCIA - reception should be exactly the same. Plenty of testing has been done that shows bandwidth throughput and reception don't really deviate. I like USB because they're easy to different devices.

Users who are viewing this thread