Votes: 18 54.5%
  • 17"

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
I'm in the market for wheels, but I can't decide what I want. At first, I thought I wanted the authentic FR500s, but the increased price and limited size (18"X9" only) kind of steered me away. Now I'm looking at the replica FR500s that are much cheaper and also come in different sizes. My question is, is what is a better sized wheel on a Mustang, a 17" or 18", with concerns to rotating/unsprung weight? Also, I want to run a 255/40-XX up front, and a 295-285/35-XX out back, but what width wheel will I need to correctly do this? Also, with the replica wheels being significantly cheaper, it makes me wonder if they're a quality wheel. Are they? Any successful tire/wheel combos people would like to share?

I'll post a poll for which is a better sized wheel. Thanks for the help.

machstang23

Established Member
I can't answer most of your questions, but If you are going for speed, power and weight get the 17", because the 17 will be lighter and inturn less rotating mass. Now if you are all show and no go, then I would go with the 18"s

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
I agree with MachStang23. If you want the fatties under the rear then go with the 17's there are more choices. The 18's are the show wheels.

BLACKVNM

Established Member
i say 18s just because the looks and handling alone are worth the small loss of straight-line perforformance that you experience. also, if you get 18s and are that into drag racing, find some really cheap used wheels that you can mount DRs on and use those for the track. these cars look great with either 17s or 18s IMO, i have the 18'' fr500s that you mentioned, see my sig :)

Charles236

Established Member
Genuine FRPP FR500s on my Mach, I have reservations about the stregnth of some aftermarket wheels that are available. Also, with the IRS in my car, I avoided interference with the rear cradle mount bolts by going to 18" wheels.

Mach 1 Mania

Established Member
Mach1chuck said:
Genuine FRPP FR500s on my Mach, I have reservations about the stregnth of some aftermarket wheels that are available. Also, with the IRS in my car, I avoided interference with the rear cradle mount bolts by going to 18" wheels.

I have the real ones too. They are nice :pop:

TheBlkMach1

Leroy is back.
Established Member
Umm...well i say 18's! That's what i have and as far as all show and no go, i've gone 11.38 and trapped 128.24, so i really don't think that they will make too much of a difference :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread