Best Way To Teach My Girl To Drive A Manual Trans?

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I'm interested in teaching my girlfriend how to drive stick. That way, when the time comes when I want another toy she'll be on board with it being a stick. We haven't lived in this area of the country for all that long, so we don't know anyone that drives a stick that would let us borrow it, plus I wouldn't even really wanna ask a friend for a favor like that, because it might be brutal on the clutch. We're toying with the idea of buying a beater for her to learn on, that way whenever she wants to learn, the car is there. So we don't have to be on anyone else's schedule but ours. I'm looking at high-mileage anything on craigslist at the moment. There are no requirements besides being in decent enough mechanical condition to last for 6 months or so. It doesn't have to have a/c, a radio, anything. We're looking at cars around the $1,000 mark, so when we sell it in 6 months, there's not much of a hit to be taken, if any, and worse case scenario we're not out much money anyway. It sounds a little crazy, but we have the means, and could probably round up a place to park it for a few months. Anyone have any better ideas or just think I'm crazy/stupid? All thoughts appreciated.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
An extra vehicle is always nice to have. You should have no problem finding a decent car for your price range.

-Eric

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Use the your johnson to teach her the pattern of shifting.

Sent with My Massive Johnson

03snakenvtn

Established Member
An extra vehicle is always nice to have. You should have no problem finding a decent car for your price range.

-Eric

That's what I'm hoping for. I found a few cars on craigslist in my area. There was an Integra, a Neon, a Focus, a Jeep Cherokee, and a 92 5-series BMW. I liked the look of the 5-series, but I don't wanna touch a BMW with 200k miles. We hopefully won't have to repair anything, but just in case, I'd like the repair bill from a Focus a whole lot more than a BMW. The Focus is leading the way so far.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
big parking lot. She can't really hurt your car honestly..lol

Unfortunately my 335 isn't a stick. I came up with this idea recently, well after the purchase of the 335. I never tried to teach her on the Cobra because I didn't think it was safe/sane to try to teach someone to drive stick on a rwd 500hp car that likes to get sideways with very little warning, not to mention one of the stiffest clutches ever to grace a car.

oilwell1415

Established Member
My preferred method is to get something with a lot of torque right off idle so they can learn one pedal at a time. When I taught my wife injust took her to an empty stretch of road with my F-150 and had her practice starting off with just the clutch, no gas at all, then let it idle as she shifted up through 4th gear. Once she was good at tha we added the gas pedal, then hills. Worked great, but the vehicle has to have the testicular fortitude to pull it off. I would have preferred to use my old International, but I really don't think it would teach very well since no technique at all is required to get it rolling fron idle in 3rd gear.

Last edited:

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
My preferred method is to get something with a lot of torque right off idle so they can learn one pedal at a time. When I taught my wife injust took her to an empty stretch of road with my F-150 and had her practice starting off with just the clutch, no gas at all, then let it idle as she shifted up through 4th gear. Once she was good at tha we added the gas pedal, then hills. Worked great, but the vehicle has to have the testicular fortitude to pull it off. I would have preferred to use my old International, but I really don't think it would teach very well since no technique at all is required to get it rolling fron idle in 3rd gear.

This is how I taught my wife. She picked it up in no time using this method.

I learned on the way home from picking up my first new car I bought with a stick :thumbsup:

THE_STIG

Established Member
Taught my girl to drive stick on my old cobra. Clutch was fine afterwards. Just buy the new toy and teach her on that.

4vVert

Established Member
I would take her to a big open parking lot.. Can't really hurt anything, tell her to take it nice & easy!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Unfortunately my 335 isn't a stick. I came up with this idea recently, well after the purchase of the 335. I never tried to teach her on the Cobra because I didn't think it was safe/sane to try to teach someone to drive stick on a rwd 500hp car that likes to get sideways with very little warning, not to mention one of the stiffest clutches ever to grace a car.

why not? Teach her on a vehicle with a boatload of torque.

I taught my ex on my 5.0 and that was a bitch to drive.

Made it easier to drive everything else.

boduke0220

Established Member
I learned on a Tractor, no gas pedal. worked on hills and changing while driving..down shifting etc then went to a car..that was when i was like 6 though lol..dad needed help on the farm.

also explain how it works too

ssssnake

Established Member
big parking lot. She can't really hurt your car honestly..lol

That's where my husband took me to teach me how to drive a standard. In the car in the pic. He had me start, stop, start...you get it.

opelgt.jpg

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
As mentioned, start her off in a big parking lot. After she gets the hang of taking off and rowing through the gears, take her straight to a decent hill. If she can take off without rolling back more the 2-3ft, she's good to go:D

03snakenvtn

Established Member
All good opinions. How about the fact that I'm considering buying a beater to teach her on. It seems like all of you had manual trans cars at the moment to teach them on.

carnut101

Established Member
Damn near half of my graduating class in high school learned to drive stick with my vette. Torque definitely helps. Strangely, there was a very obvious trend of girls getting the hang of it faster.

+1 on getting the toy you want and teaching her with that.

Users who are viewing this thread