best way to swap 12mm to 14mm

zeener96

Established Member
Installing a Steeda catback tonight and noticed the front IRS bolts on my car are in fact 12mm.

I have the car on rhino ramps now...can I just lightly support the torque box with a jack and swap the bolts 1 at a time, or is it more complicated?

I know there are several writeups about dropping the IRS and swapping out the bushings....but how about just swapping the bolts?

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
yeah that will work.... its not too difficult. I did the poly bushings at the same time and that was a pain

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I just hope that when you do this the front part of the IRS arm doesn't slip even a little bit because you will have a field day trying to wiggle the whole IRS around to get the bolt back in.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Originally posted by Sonic Blue 2003
I just hope that when you do this the front part of the IRS arm doesn't slip even a little bit because you will have a field day trying to wiggle the whole IRS around to get the bolt back in.
Yep....been there, done that!!! But nothing that a good old fashioned hammer can't handle!!!

hmwave

Established Member
I used a come along on the K-member and a jack underneath to reposition the IRS and get the bolt back it.

mystic1

KB'd BITCH!!!!
Established Member
When I did my bushing I had a tapered punch to line the holes back up correctly. You shouldn't need it just support the sub frame and wiggle them in.

zeener96

Established Member
Well, I'll admit it...I failed miserably at this.

I was able to get the drivers side in, but could not for the life of me get the passenger side in, had to put the 12 back in on the pass side.

I had the cars rear wheels on gray rhino ramps, exhaust took off. When I took the 12mm bolt out (with a hammer) the subframe shifted back and down towards the rear of the car. I was able to use a jack to raise the frame in vertical alignment, but could not get the horizontal alignment (off about 1/4 hole).

I tried beating the bolt to submission with a hammer, but it would stop as soon as it hit the outside hole of the body connection. I tried for 2.5 hours and finally gave in.

Can someone post some "Changing subframe bolts for dummy's" tips??

I am thinking maybe the ramps cause the subframe to shift...did everyone do this on ramps or flat on the ground....

Tips???

:bash:

Thanks,

Dennis

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Thinking out loud... maybe if one side of the car was raised a bit higher or lower it would change the lateral alignment.

SVT4ME

Established Member
What with the bolt. Did Ford use the wrong one on some of the Cobra's?

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave
I used a come along on the K-member and a jack underneath to reposition the IRS and get the bolt back it.

I already answered this in the thread. I used a come along round the K-member with a jack under the IRS shell. Small adjustments of both, with a tapered drift to pull the bushing into place works. Took me a while but it worked. I've done this more than twice now.

Fran

Established Member
Sorry if this was addressed already. I have the noise while turning on my 04 coupe with 1500 miles on it. Is the bolt size issue something the dealer will not fix under warranty?. When I take my car if for service, what should I tell them to check? Hubs, half shafts, toque specs?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread