Best way to stop wheel hop in my '03 'vert

SAcobra427

Established Member
I am looking to fix the wheel hop in my conv without changing the ride to much, it is pretty much useless to floor it in either 1st or 2nd gear anymore. SVT told me to run 31psi in the tires but I was at 35 so it made no noticable differance. Anybody know what works ??

Thanks, Tom:??:

jimh

Established Member
A really good set of full length frame connectors, Urethane diff bushings, Urethane IRS sub frame bushings, and 14mm front IRS frame bolts to replace the incorrect 12mm stock bolts. I went with the Global West subs, MM IRS IRS frame bushings and Steeda diff bushings.

While wheel hop is not completely gone when the tires are cold, it is not nearly as violent. Feels more like a little tire shake than wheel hop if that helps.

Once the tires are warm I didn't get any hop, or shake, at all. Not even with a hard shift into second and third.

I have the stock F1s still on the car.

I didn't feel any ride difference with the bushing install other than I could floor it without getting any hop.

The subframe connectors made a big differnece in the ride. The bolt-on factory frame connectors are complete crap! The car just feels more solid. The ride isn't any stiffer, it just doesn't feel so jiggley over bumps and it feels more responsive. The car itself just feels more solid. especially entering and exiting off camber driveways. I did the subframe connectors about a month ago. You can do a search on Global West on this site for pictires of mine installed.

The wheel hop in our cars comes from flex. Because verts are missing a roof we have much more flex. The wheels aren't actually hopping, the diff is bouncing as the tires catch and grip. The key is to eliminate as much flex as possible. I believe someone makes aluminum bushings for the rear as well, but I was afraid solid bushings would affect the ride quality.

Stickier tires also help greatly. There are a couple of companies out there like Amazon Racing that make anti-hop shocks for the rear as well. I don't think I'm going to need them. Also I like the stock ride and handling.

Good luck,
jim

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Are you going to keep it at a stock power level? If so try the bushings (did nothing for me), Nittos (did nothing for me either) and the other mods detailed.

Us cold weather vert guys have it rough.

I am lining up a sure fix for my incurable hop.
bombprof built 8.8+31spline=no more hop and no busted halfshafts, no cracked or leaking pumpkin.

got a local friend that had a pumpkin leak with only a 3.2 pulley on it. Another friend snapped a halfshaft while bone stock (paper filter)

I am going to chuck the POS IRS into Lake Erie and never look back.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I've done the Steeda bushings, MM bushings, coupe springs, HBH shocks and KB subframe setup. I still have hop. In the summer, it's not as bad, but winter it comes back with authority. The mods above do help soften the blow. Haven't lost any halfshafts since doing them. ;-)

Next up is MM coilovers.

03torchvert

Established Member
Racerat

I was wondering if the hbh shocks had a noticeable affect. Could you please explain what a coil over is and who makes them, how much, is install hard. Do they replace your rear shocks. Has anybody done them and had very minimal wheelhop. Thanks

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The first things you should do are the following.
Maximum Motorsports Full-Length Subframe connectors
Maximum Motorsports IRS Assembly bushings
Replace the front IRS assembly bolts with 14mm version available at Maximum Motorsports
Kenny Brown aluminum differential pinion bushings

This will dramatically decrease the hop. It really depends on what you are looking for how you would want to proceed from here.

In addition to this I had
Bilstein 00R spec shocks
Maximum Motorsports coil-overs with 650# springs rear lowered 1.25"
Nitto 555R 315s at 26 psi on the road, never run them higher then this or you will have hop.

At that point I had no hop cold or warm and only a slight skip if I spun them fast enough the same as a solid axle car will produce.

Users who are viewing this thread