best way to remove bugs

blsticms1

Established Member
what do u use to get bugs off front bumper ? i went out n my silver gt and got bug bombed . got most off but not all . whats best ?

04sonicbeast

Established Member
You can use over the counter bug and tar remover that's clearcoat and wax safe. I use rain x brand and it works great. Do it when the paint is cool and in the shade, a little goes a long way.

WHITE99SNAKE

Established Member
Dryer Sheets

Yes, :dw::??::dw::??: if you get HAMMERED with bugs like we do in FL with the love bugs...... Dyer sheets will work wonders on your car. Eliminates 85+% of the effort that I have put in with Bug/Tar remover. I heard about the trick years ago and refused to do something so silly. One day I tried it with hundreds of bugs stuck to my wife's SRX. I was having to scrub them off daily and was sick of it.

It worked very well. :thumbsup:

nickf2005

Established Member
There are various bug removers that are clearcoat and wax safe. I have the Turtle Wax brand. Whatever "medium" you use, a microfiber towel is you best friend. Use this on my Shelby and my motorcycle.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The most important thing to remember is; take care of it IMMEDIATELY. Bug guts are very acidic and can eat through clear coat without missing a beat. Typically when that happens, it can be corrected, but I've seen some pretty nasty etching that cannot be machine polished out.

Bug & Tar removers will help dilute the suicide party on your bumper for a safe removal. Microfiber or dedicated bug sponges will be the ideal tool to agitate the surface safely. Remember to seal or wax the clearcoat once you're satisfied with your results.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Yes, :dw::??::dw::??: if you get HAMMERED with bugs like we do in FL with the love bugs...... Dyer sheets will work wonders on your car. Eliminates 85+% of the effort that I have put in with Bug/Tar remover. I heard about the trick years ago and refused to do something so silly. One day I tried it with hundreds of bugs stuck to my wife's SRX. I was having to scrub them off daily and was sick of it.

It worked very well. :thumbsup:

Yep, I have heard this as well. You have to dampen the dryer sheets, correct?

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
yea, heard about the dryer sheets as well. will try it if i need to. i usually wash the car within a day of getting pearl harbor'd.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
dont use dryer sheets or a bug sponge or you will scratch your paint to death! best thing is good spray wax and very good microfiber towel!

jpicc

Established Member
Throw a couple of dryer sheets in the water bucket and then use them. By far the best and will not scratch your paint (as stated). Been using them for years.

ViciousJay

Established Member
if its really bad, wd40 and a microfiber towel, after getting them off wash teh car asap and wax area!

mikestoyz

Established Member
Glad I found this thread. Just finished with love bug season. I bought unlimited car washes for the past month and have been going 2-4 x a week. I still have remains of bugs that rain x bug remover, simple green or a claybar won't remove.
Do I need to take it to a professional?

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Glad I found this thread. Just finished with love bug season. I bought unlimited car washes for the past month and have been going 2-4 x a week. I still have remains of bugs that rain x bug remover, simple green or a claybar won't remove.
Do I need to take it to a professional?

Pictures would help us give you good advice for this. My initial guess is if you properly performed the above, than your paint marred to hell and has etching due to the acidic nature of bug remains.

cobrkilrl

Established Member
if its really bad, wd40 and a microfiber towel, after getting them off wash teh car asap and wax area!

This^^^^^I have used WD40 for years on all my cars and trucks. I have never found anything better and I have never harmed the paint in any way. Use a small amount on a microfiber towel. When done use a damp towel over the area and touch up with some spray detailer of your choice.

white04mach

Established Member
Get a couple bath towels and soak them with water and lay/drape against affected area and let sit for 15 mins....they will wipe off with little to no effort. Used to do this a lot on the fairing of my Electra Glide.

Users who are viewing this thread