Best way to install tape stripe

Fordfourlife

Established Member
My car arrived with bubbles in the GT500 stripe on the front rocker panel. It appears dirt on the decal caused the biubbles. My dealer ordered a new one and mailed it to me,they said they would put it on but they are out of the way so I figure I will just do it myself. Can I use a soap/water spray as application fluid and then squeegee it? That is usually the most forgiving way but wanted to make sure it would work with this.

Last edited:

NELCO

Established Member
I would let the dealer do it, My buddy is a professional painter and he told me it took his bodyshop over 16 hours to do the stripes on a 2012. Good Luck

jbs$

Established Member
Pay someone who knows what they are doing to do this. It will not cost that much and it will save you from yourself.

Husky44

Established Member
OP: It sounds like you've done stripes before, and that it's quite a bit of hassle to take it to the dealer. No reason you can't do this yourself; it's not rocket surgery.

Here's a link to a reasonable set of instructions. FWIW, a bondo applicator works really well for a squeegee.

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
I agree not that hard,just take your time,make sure they are in there correct position before really applying pressure .

muauto

Established Member
Use Dawn dish soap, about a teaspoon per gal of water. Dont laugh Dawn works the best. DO NOT take the outer protection film off untill you are done or you will scratch the hell ot of it. Wet the panel, wet the sticker, and go work center out. Also use some blue painters tape for a guide. just a few hints for you.

2nd2none

Established Member
Not sure how far out of the way your dealer is but I'd rather drive 100 or so miles to get it put on by the dealer than risk messing it up. Not sure what those side stripes cost but just a small rear bumper piece was about $125 from the dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread