Best way to find a Puppy?

2kSilverSteed

Cammed GT
Established Member
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a puppy. I'm looking for a little black lab or flat coated retriever. I was wondering the best way to find a good litter. I know the newspapers and google is always a good place to look. But I just want to know I am getting a legit dog.

If you guys have had any luck with a website, breeder, or have any insight on a dog, please post. If you know a good lab breeder, even not in Texas, maybe posting a phone number would be good so I can make some calls.

I am in Texas, so a Dallas or Austin or Houston breeder would be ideal, but I'm willing to look further.

Thanks guys.

03DOHC

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a puppy. I'm looking for a little black lab or flat coated retriever. I was wondering the best way to find a good litter. I know the newspapers and google is always a good place to look. But I just want to know I am getting a legit dog.

If you guys have had any luck with a website, breeder, or have any insight on a dog, please post. If you know a good lab breeder, even not in Texas, maybe posting a phone number would be good so I can make some calls.

I am in Texas, so a Dallas or Austin or Houston breeder would be ideal, but I'm willing to look further.

Thanks guys.
When I looked for my Brittany's I searched for local/regional/state clubs and searched their webpages for breeders.

You might also try searching the AKC website.

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
That is not the help he asked for.

My Corgi came from a place probably about 15 minutes from where OP is located, and anyone who sees the dog swears she's the sweetest they've met. I'm sure they've got labs at this place. I believe it's called Fuzzy Friends Canine Rescue.

03DOHC

Established Member
My Corgi came from a place probably about 15 minutes from where OP is located, and anyone who sees the dog swears she's the sweetest they've met. I'm sure they've got labs at this place. I believe it's called Fuzzy Friends Canine Rescue.
That's nice. Thanks for your input.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Dog rescue organizations FTW. When I do plan on getting a dog again, this will be the route I take.

We got a puppy Golden retriever at the end of 07. While puppies are cute, they take a lot of time and training, more than people realize. My wife and I had to work so much that we ended up not having the time to spend with her the way we wanted. Then my wife got really sick during her pregnancy, spending a lot of time in the hospital which made it even more time to give the dog the attention that it needed. It was too much for me to take on at the time with taking care of the house, kid, and my wife plus the dog. It was the hardest thing but at 9mo's I put her up for adoption at a Golden gescue agency. It was heartbreaking for me. She was adopted right after her 2 week evaluation.

I use to raise Brittany Spaniels and train them for bird hunting. Raised 32 puppies within 3 years. Of course I had time then because I didn't work so I could spend the time needed to raise and train them. Unfortunately it just didn't work out this time because there was just too much going on in my life. I still miss her but I'm sure she went to a nice, loving home.

Anyways, my point I am getting at is. There is a lot more to having a puppy than people realize. Depending on the type of dog, on might require more attention than another. If you know you have the time and patience to train a puppy than go for it. But you can get a young dog that has already been trained, house broken, exposed to different elements from an adoption agency.

Last edited:

1993R

Established Member
Last edited:

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
In the larger metro areas, Houston/Dallas maybe, there might very well be specific rescue groups for either labs or retrievers. When I was in Dallas, I was pleasantly surprised to find a Husky rescue group that I became involved with. Unfortunatley, there are younger dogs often available, e.g., six months or so. Good luck finding a new furry friend. Be well and breathe deep.

Mayo5

Established Member
Dog rescue organizations FTW. When I do plan on getting a dog again, this will be the route I take.

We got a puppy Golden retriever at the end of 07. While puppies are cute, they take a lot of time and training, more than people realize. My wife and I had to work so much that we ended up not having the time to spend with her the way we wanted. Then my wife got really sick during her pregnancy, spending a lot of time in the hospital which made it even more time to give the dog the attention that it needed. It was too much for me to take on at the time with taking care of the house, kid, and my wife plus the dog. It was the hardest thing but at 9mo's I put her up for adoption at a Golden gescue agency. It was heartbreaking for me. She was adopted right after her 2 week evaluation.

I use to raise Brittany Spaniels and train them for bird hunting. Raised 32 puppies within 3 years. Of course I had time then because I didn't work so I could spend the time needed to raise and train them. Unfortunately it just didn't work out this time because there was just too much going on in my life. I still miss her but I'm sure she went to a nice, loving home.

Anyways, my point I am getting at is. There is a lot more to having a puppy than people realize. Depending on the type of dog, on might require more attention than another. If you know you have the time and patience to train a puppy than go for it. But you can get a young dog that has already been trained, house broken, exposed to different elements from an adoption agency.

+1. I adopted a puppy this past Monday from our local animal shelter and is about 8 weeks old. He is completely different than when I first adopted him, and the few days that I spent playing with him before making the plunge.

After about a day or so, he finally woke up and became a hellion. I'm not to used to having dogs inside, especially a puppy. It's been frustrating having to watching him CONSTANTLY. He is very aggressive and feisty when playing, which I don't mind but some others have. I'm in the process of crate training him, but it's been a huge hassle. He's been pretty good up until the last few day or so with going bathroom inside. He is just going at will everywhere, even after I take him outside; as soon as I get him inside he just shits.

It's been a hassle, especially with the roommates who now do not want the dog here anymore, and it's makes it hard for me to be here at the house all the time, because I can't crate up a puppy.

I've been going back and forth on whether to return him or not.

Just make sure you have twice the amount of time available to watch over and train the puppy.

I'd go with what txyaloo advised me, and maybe get a dog that is slightly older and more mature and independent.

But you can look in Shelters/newspaper/craigslist/Rescue Groups/Petfinder, just to name a few.

03DOHC

Established Member
I don't recall you being the one asking the puppy questions. My info about the rescue shelter near him is helpful, if not more than your info.
His post says he wants a pedigreed, papered puppy from a breeder.

And no, I didn't ask the question but it is one of my functions on this site to try to keep threads on topic. Thanks for your concern though.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Dog rescue organizations FTW.

+1

There are many rescues and even Lab/Retriever specific ones in the DFW area, as well as SA and Houston. I adopted my current dog and he is the best, most loyal dog I've ever had. Good luck with whatever you do. :beer:

2kSilverSteed

Cammed GT
Established Member
+1

There are many rescues and even Lab/Retriever specific ones in the DFW area, as well as SA and Houston. I adopted my current dog and he is the best, most loyal dog I've ever had. Good luck with whatever you do. :beer:

Yeah man, I totally get what you are saying. I found a little girl puppy up in Oklahoma, its about 6 hours from me. Im calling them tomorow, or monday and we will see what they say.

03DOHC

Established Member
Outstanding, I hope it works out for you. I was lucky enough to find my boys relatively close to my house compared to 6hrs away. Both are natural pointers and the smartest dogs I have ever owned.

Users who are viewing this thread