Best way to clean engine bay

digital911

Established Member
Is it safe to use an engine cleaner from auto zone and then spray engine bay with water on these cars? Of course I wouldn't attempt this unless the engine was totally cold. I am concerned to damage electronics though. What do you guys use?

Woody6799

Established Member
I take the time and do it by hand. Some guys will spray with water and just bag the electrical components. I use simple green, some tools, and take my time.

hotcobra03

Established Member
13yrs here of high pressure wash..

at home. Dawn dish soap wipe and rinse..

never had issues after

but mine is also a daily driver

Franco

Established Member
Exactly what Woody said take your time and do it with a rag and some toothbrushes/ q tips. Too much electronics to mess with and way to many chances for things to go wrong.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Exactly what Woody said take your time and do it with a rag and some toothbrushes/ q tips. Too much electronics to mess with and way to many chances for things to go wrong.

This is how I've always felt

SlowSVT

Established Member
WD-40 and a roll of paper towel works best for me.

If you power wash the engine best to do it when it's cold. Water boiling off a hot engine is nasty for corrosion.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Can of Foamy engine cleaner from parts store. Power wash or Hose down, let dry. Then mist on some foamy tire shine. I usually do that twice a yr for 12yrs. Engine bay still looks like new

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'll never spray a mustang engine again. Sure lots of people do it and have no issues, but I did it one time and the damn thing never ran right again, always had a stutter under accelleration. I'm sure it was some electronic issue, but my GT500 never sees any water under the hood, of course it really doesn't get that dirty as it's not a daily driver.

On my truck it's a different story, it gets dirty and occasionally needs cleaning. The engine from the factory has much more protection from water, that along with being careful have worked well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread