Best value laptop?

99caddysts

Established Member
Hello,

I'm looking into getting a new laptop. I used to know everything about computers but that was years ago and now I'm as clueless as your average joe.

What I am looking for:

-under $600
-between 14-15.5"
-performance
-thin (for the most part my notebook stays put and acts as a desktop replacement but it would be nice to have the ability to easily transport it)
-NO apply/MAC please

A few that I have been looking at are:
-Toshiba Satellite Pro c650 $470
-Toshiba Satellite Pro L750 and L750D $550
-Toshiba Satellite L755-s5242 $500
-HP Probook 4525s $540
-HP Probook 4430s $548

What does everyone think about those? Any other suggestions? I also very much like the form/look of the Samsung notebooks as well. I am looking for the best value/performance in my price range. I do not do much gaming. I mostly am surfing the net, playing movies through hdmi, and listening to music. Also, my previous/current notebook is an HP with touchpad keys up top that I do find really convenient so that would be a plus for a new one.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Satellites are pretty good.

i was in the market not too long ago. needed to be at least 15" and with a Pentium (at least) processor. picked up sweet Fuji for about $400 at Frys. ive seen them in their ads a few times since.

Vaios are great if you can find one in your price range.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Every Toshiba Satellite laptop I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of dealing with fell apart in a couple years with moderate to heavy use. They used to buy them for all the sales reps and managers here and we no longer use Toshiba anything to give you an idea of how that went. Just a heads up.

Perhaps if you're only using it lightly for home use and taking care of it it will do better than what I've seen.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
x2 on Asus I just bought two of them. I love them. They are excellent laptops.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
I've had a Toshiba Satellite since Christmas and love it

but I can't say how long it will last as I've only had mine less then a year

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
My opinion is that most HP laptops are garbage and I haven't had great luck with Toshibas. I am a Lenovo lover.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I have had a HP, Compaq, Accer, Dell, Asus, and my mom has a Vaio. Of these brands I would only recommend a Asus or Vaio.

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
My laptop a HP pavilion zt3280us (Running windows7 ultimate, it came w/ an 80Gig HD but upgraded it to 230Gig HD & 512 Mb Ram) bought it new in 04 and has been good but I've since bought a netbook in 09 because my laptops screen light died and bought a new printer, copier and scanner all in one WHAT a P.O.S. I spent the better part of a day on the phone w/ tech dept. and the level 1 tech was CLUELESS and said that a level 2 tech would call me that was back in July and still waiting so I traded it for a used cannon even swap I got the BETTER end of the deal.

I've read that their customer satisfaction is going in TOILET along with the company.

AVOID HP like the PLAGUE!

Last edited:

LUBaseball2

Established Member
I bought a toshiba sat. a little over a year and a half ago and it no longer works.. I wouldn't get another one I'm probably gonna go with the ASUS

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Asus is awesome! For that price range either an Asus or a toshiba. HP blows. I just bought an Mac Book Pro. No issues what so ever.

Users who are viewing this thread