best tv on a semi-budget...

nhancedsvt

Established Member
ok so here shortly i will be getting ready to get a tv since i am moving into my own place. depending on how much my living room suit is i will have around 1500 to spend, maybe a little more. i want the best tv for the money, but i would also like to get the biggest screen possible seeing as how up until now the biggest tv i have had has been a 20" pos. thanks for any help guys!!!:beer:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
My dad has two Samsungs LCDs. I can't tell much of a difference between the two but his 32" is a 720p and the 46" is 1080p they both are great pictures for their respective size. I did notice a 42" vizio in the walmart sale paper last week for like 900

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
I have seen many of the same threads lately and I must chime in and say that after much review of what is available this day and age that I purchased a 50" Panasonic plasma television. Also, this was purchased slightly used (4 months) for $2,000 cash. Don't fall for the hype that LCD lasts longer than plasma because trust me by the time your t.v. dies you will be looking for a new one due to the new technolgy available by the time is goes. The Panasonic 1080P is the best bang for the buck. Here is a pic of our 1080P 50" Panasonic (w/ a big mug shot of Michael Strahan this Superbowl):

tmpphpnrxGnS.jpg

Last edited:

blk96SVT

Established Member
I have seen many of the same threads lately and I must chime in and say that after much review of what is available this day and age that I purchased a 50" Panasonic plasma television. Also, this was purchased slightly used (4 months) for $2,000 cash. Don't fall for the hype that LCD lasts longer than plasma because trust me by the time your t.v. dies you will be looking for a new one due to the new technolgy available by the time is goes. The Panasonic 1080P is the best bang for the buck. Here is a pic of our 1080P 50" Panasonic (w/ a big mug shot of Michael Strahan this Superbowl):

Panasonic is probably the OP's best bet. You have a nice looking TV btw

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I've always hear that Plasmas are king if you're going to spend a lot of time watching sports etc. But if you play a lot of games then there may be issues with plasma. There is probably a good reason that stores sell more LCD than plasma

sb306

Established Member
CRT REAR-PROJECTION FTW. 61' $1400 shipped to my door. Great for gaming and no lag whatsoever. Looks just as good or better than other lcds I've seen running hd. Black blacks and vivid colors that will go as bright as I want them(great for games). The speakers will also have a lot better sound quality and be louder than most flat screens. As there is much more room for speakers in the housing. Just another option. Bulky as hell though. :) LED DLP is supposed to be pretty good also, with no color wheel effect.

Last edited:

bglf83

Established Member
if i were to go the way of plasma, wally world has a 50" vizio plasma for right around 1100... thoughts?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9134110
plus since i work at wal-mart i get a 10% discount off of that?

or if i were to go lcd they have a vizio 42" for around 900, sorry no link... thoughts?

i do believe consumer reports rated panasonic plasmas (1080p pz700 specefic) as the best flat panel they had ever reviewed.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
I've always hear that Plasmas are king if you're going to spend a lot of time watching sports etc. But if you play a lot of games then there may be issues with plasma. There is probably a good reason that stores sell more LCD than plasma

The plasmas have MUCH deeper black color and have less hesitation with the frames per second which helps with the "lag" during sporting events. In regards to the sales of LCD versus plasma this is due to the misconception that the plasmas don't last long. The fact of the matter is that they will last long enough to get your money worth. I prefer enhanced picture over a minimal difference in longevity. Also, the PS3 which I use to game with doubles as a Blu-Ray player and makes the 1080P plasma definition ridiculous. The other comon misconceptionis that the plasmas "burn" images into the screen which has been corrected as the plasmas have evolved technologically.

CRT REAR-PROJECTION FTW. 61' $1400 shipped to my door. Great for gaming and no lag whatsoever. Looks just as good or better than other lcds I've seen running hd. Black blacks and vivid colors that will go as bright as I want them(great for games). The speakers will also have a lot better sound quality and be louder than most flat screens. As there is much more room for speakers in the housing. Just another option. Bulky as hell though. :) LED DLP is supposed to be pretty good also, with no color wheel effect.

Rear projection equals HUGE televisions and aren't space friendly. Go flat screen.

if i were to go the way of plasma, wally world has a 50" vizio plasma for right around 1100... thoughts?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9134110
plus since i work at wal-mart i get a 10% discount off of that?

or if i were to go lcd they have a vizio 42" for around 900, sorry no link... thoughts?

LCD < plasma
720P < 1080P
Get a quality higher end (Panasonic) 1080P plasma flat screen. You won't second guess your purchase and wish you would have opted for more t.v. for the minimal cost to upgrade.

Last edited:

94_Vert

Established Member
if the tv is going to be in a wide room, or with a modest amount of sunlight i would go lcd. plasmas don't fare as well in sunlight, and don't have as big a viewing angle.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
if the tv is going to be in a wide room, or with a modest amount of sunlight i would go lcd. plasmas don't fare as well in sunlight, and don't have as big a viewing angle.

The lighting can be compensated for with drapes and blinds and if you have a WIDE living room you will just need a WIDER flat panel t.v. :beer:

nhancedsvt

Established Member
i looked a few places at the panasonic and they were all around 2300-2500.other than that it looks like a great tv but i would really like to stay around 1500, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
i looked a few places at the panasonic and they were all around 2300-2500.other than that it looks like a great tv but i would really like to stay around 1500, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Buy used from an individual. Got mine for $2,000 with 4 months of watching on it w/o even negotiating. I'm sure I could have saved a couple $100, but I hate negotiating.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Buy used from an individual. Got mine for $2,000 with 4 months of watching on it w/o even negotiating. I'm sure I could have saved a couple $100, but I hate negotiating.

I saw a 720p Panisonic Plasma yesterday for $1400 new.

Users who are viewing this thread