Best transmission fluid to use?

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
Just wondering what is the best transmission fluid to use when draining and refilling my transmission?
Also how much do I use?
I've got a factory five speed in my 03 Mach 1
Thanks for the input

NastyNate420

Established Member
I use Mobile 1 ATF and Lucas tranny fix (aka Secret Sauce)
I forget the amount but i know there a TSB about the level. its lower then the fill hole plug suggests. 3 qts ATF and 1 bottle lucas....you dont use all the ATF

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
^^ thanks a lot! Does the bottle have a good way to pour it into the fill hole or what's the best way to put the fluid back in?

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
easiest way is to remove the shifter and pour the correct measured amount i there

this ^ Just Mobil atf will be just fine, but the tranny fix will be more benefit if its higher mileage or may have some wear.

2.5 quarts Mobil1 atf and a 24ox bottle of Lucus stop slip/secret sauce/tranny fix whatever you call it.

DRAGUL

Established Member
Just had this same question a week ago. I called Tremec and spoke to two people who both said to use Mobil 1 synthetic atf. Interestingly though I was told to disregard Ford's tsb and fill it until it came out the side hole.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Regular, non synthetic fluid. Shifts better than when it had stock fluid and waaaayy better than when I had the "secret sauce". That shit is so thick it takes forever to get warm and shift smoothly, especially during the colder months. I do not recommend it.

4v_mach1

Established Member
I used half the bottle of lucas transmission fix, and 2.5 quarts of regular non synthetic ATF.. about 3 quarts roughly and my transmission has never been so smooth.
I know our cars use synthetic ATF, but at the moment all I had was regular ATF & I want to switch to GM synchromesh with lucas tranny fix soon.

Last edited:

glittle75

Established Member
I went to sycromesh and tranny fix, same as before with the factory fluid.

Last clutch change I went to Amsoil Synthetic ATF, liking it better.

4a7191a

Established Member
I used royal purple synchromesh and Lucas tran fix. :). Drain from the bottom, cobra Bob gasket ftw on a steeda shifter too :)

Users who are viewing this thread