best torque wrench

99vertcobra

Established Member
i had a torque wrench from harbour freight and it ended up breaking. id like to buy a better one but i wanted to get others input on which one is the best to purchase. which one is the most accurate. price is not really an issue

Sveet01

Established Member
Get a brand with an automatic replacement if broke warranty (i.e. Craftsman/Snap-On/Kobalt/whatever)

Harbor Freight stuff is junk--I only buy stuff I might use once or twice in my life there or depleting items like sandpaper/grinding discs.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
+1

Craftsman should be good to go. All of mine are Snap-on and awesome but, very spendy.

99vertcobra

Established Member
yea when i bought the harbour freight one it was a while ago when i was just torqueing wheels. but now im building my engine and i dont wanna risk buying another shitty one. i was thinking about the craftsman one cuase im not sure how to purchase snap on tools

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I have at some point own both Snap-on and Craftsman both work great. Will buy another Craftsman because I dont appreciater the anal rape that comes with the Snap-on...plus the local rep is a totally piece of @*^% and wont come and warranty out our tools - never had a warranty problem with Sears/Craftsman =D

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
You can buy Snap-on from their website, a dealer in your area, eBay,..... there are a large variety of wrenches to choose from so carefully read the descriptions if you choose that route. Expect to pay $260 for a 3/8" 100ft-lb wrench...

99vertcobra

Established Member
I have at some point own both Snap-on and Craftsman both work great. Will buy another Craftsman because I dont appreciater the anal rape that comes with the Snap-on...plus the local rep is a totally piece of @*^% and wont come and warranty out our tools - never had a warranty problem with Sears/Craftsman =D

post sale customer service is definately something i like. i hate when someone is a dick after they get your sale

fastback brian

Established Member
best one, or atleast one the best is the tech angle by snap on. it does ft/lb, Nm, and Angle , perfect for modern torque specs and torque to yield engine bolts..I think mine cost 450-500, pretty sure they still cost around that, I more than made my money back with it doing head swaps, especially in econolines...
the cheaper click wrench's from harbor, sears or parts stores are good for wheel nuts, I even find the quality clickers from mac and snap on to fail more than often...you must be carefull with them, they dont like to be dropped or any sharp impact at all, and you must return them back to the lowest setting, not all the way out just to the lowest setting when you are done with them...

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I have a 2 craftsmans for lb/ft and lb/in. BUT craftsman torque wrenches are not covered under the general hand tool warranty.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
I have a 2 craftsmans for lb/ft and lb/in. BUT craftsman torque wrenches are not covered under the general hand tool warranty.

Yep I've got two craftsmans as well, and yep they're not covered under the std lifetime warranty.

I'm not really even sure where you can get one re-calibrated? Sears I suppose?

They work just fine for what I use 'em for and at ~$75, not too hard on the wallet.

zPipes

Established Member
My torque'er is my arm. Tighten it up pretty good, then give it another quick umph, making sure your not overtightening, then done.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Your best bet is buying a Precision Instruments torque wrench. They make some, not all, of the wrenches for MAC, Snap On, etc. Will also save you some money. I just picked up my 3/8" 20-120 for $165.

My torque'er is my arm. Tighten it up pretty good, then give it another quick umph, making sure your not overtightening, then done.

That's how you build engines? :dw:

Last edited:

slick4_6

Established Member
Get a brand with an automatic replacement if broke warranty (i.e. Craftsman/Snap-On/Kobalt/whatever)

Harbor Freight stuff is junk--I only buy stuff I might use once or twice in my life there or depleting items like sandpaper/grinding discs.

I really like my snap-on torque wrench. Nobody that I know of makes a torque wrench with a lifetime replacement warranty.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Kobalt. Can be purchased at your local Lowe's and comes with a no-hassle, lifetime warranty. If you ever have an issue with it, simply walk in the door and ask for another. Keep your receipt just in case, but it is not always necessary.

-Kevin

Swannyvill

BLOWN '01
Established Member
I have both snap on and craftsman, I think they are both great and come with nice cases. I do prefer the snap on just b/c of the push up lock to the craftsman one thats plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread