best tire option for 440 whp

Eng90

Established Member
hey guys,

I would like to see what tires would grab my 13' boss with full bolt ons, my car has a 3.73 rear.
where i live its always hot and rains like 3 times a year.

I would like to know if there is a street tire option that can hold the hp and tq with good amount of milage and traction.

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
It really isn't that much power so any decent wide summer tire should work well. Also depends on how you drive/can drive. I had success with NT555 and the Continental tires with my 420rwhp GT

GBCoyote

Established Member
R888's or ET streets and be done. You're limited on mileage ofcourse, but these will give you all the traction you could want and you can also slap more power on and be happy.

_Snake_

Established Member
Michelin Pilot Super Sport. It's more than sticky enough to handle straight line duties at that hp level, does great in the rain, has a high treadwear rating, and is a top choice for people who like to take corners. Probably the best overall street tire currently available. I just put a set on my Procharged Boss (550rwhp) and love them.

jande063

Established Member
The BFG Rival S is another good choice. A bit more grip than the Toyo (they share a compound with the R1-S), just keep an eye on the outer edge wear.

Eng90

Established Member
Guys .. will the mpss do me good on street drag racing from dig ??

How about r888s ??

Im not looking for a drag radial that can hold a dig jump of 5000 rpm ... 2000 rpm to me is more than enough if possible

And even if both cant.. atleast i want one that would grab a 20 or 30 mph roll race

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
mpss should hold at 2k, R888 even a bit more when warm. Both allow you to turn as well....LOL

Eng90

Established Member
What do u guys recommed the size i get for front and rears ? I have 9 inch fronts and 9m5 rear... the oem tire size is 255/40 19 and 285/35 19 rear ..

Should i get same tire height or the 285/40 19 for straight line ?

clc44

Established Member
I have the nt05r and they're perfect! Slight chirp when shifting to second. Dead hooks on the street from a dig.

KushBandit

Established Member
If you're looking for a tire that will dead hook on the street in 1st, get a R compound tire. I make 450rwhp and I can melt my 275 MPSS from a dig.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
305/45-18 555R held 650+whp at a well prepped track. Did a 1.59 60'. My daily driver tire.

that is route i'm going when i supercharge except i have 20s for street duty. right now i have MT Street comps and they can't hold my car just tuned/exhaust in a 305.

how the 555r do in rain for you? i'm not expecting to weave in and out of traffic going 80mph but not feeling like I'm ice skating would be nice like my buddies cobra on the NT05Rs

Last edited:

Eng90

Established Member
Ohh ... the idea of mpss's capability of tire lingivitey and turning traction is amazing.. and it comes in 285/35 19

I dont mind if it doesnt grip all way from dig if at least it dead hooks at a 25 or 40 mph roll race ... if this would do what i want then i definitely would get it ...

Nt05r comes in 305 and r888s comes in 295s which i dnt think would fit and even if it fit it wouldnt be safe.

So guys ur final opinions .. and should i stick to oem spec tire or go from 35 to 40 tire height ?

Eng90

Established Member
If you're looking for a tire that will dead hook on the street in 1st, get a R compound tire. I make 450rwhp and I can melt my 275 MPSS from a dig.

And plz give me feedback on how bad this tire slips from a dig ? .. would it work for 25 or 40 mph roll race ?

KushBandit

Established Member
And plz give me feedback on how bad this tire slips from a dig ? .. would it work for 25 or 40 mph roll race ?

Last sunday, I was racing in Mexico and fried the tires from a dig in 1st gear, even with the tire pressure lowered to about 22psi. It was a 70°F night.

Works fantastic at anything above a dig, no slip at all. I'd recommend an R compound for a dig race. I don't see any "street tire" hooking on a no prep street from a dig.

Eng90

Established Member
Last sunday, I was racing in Mexico and fried the tires from a dig in 1st gear, even with the tire pressure lowered to about 22psi. It was a 70°F night.

Works fantastic at anything above a dig, no slip at all. I'd recommend an R compound for a dig race. I don't see any "street tire" hooking on a no prep street from a dig.

So 25 mph roll race would hold ?

I didnt find 285/35 19 in michelin delaer.. i found 285/40 19 which is 28" tall and found 275/35 19 ....

What do u recommend me to go for ? One of these or just pay for shipping ones from overseas ??

I donno with this difference in size how the call will act or how big of a difference it will be

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Your speedometer will be off some but you could get it back to normal with a tune. Won't act weird at all. I'm running a 28.4'' tire and it's good to go. Your gear ratio will synthetically change some too. You can go to Wallace Racing website and figure it out exactly. Your 3.73 but act more like a 3.63 for example with the taller tire

Users who are viewing this thread