Best time to check engine oil level

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
When is the best time to check the engine oil level for an accurate reading?

Cold engine in the morning or warmed engine?

Last night I checked the oil level with the engine still hot and the level on the dipstick was low. Then checked again a few hours later with the engine still warm and it was normal (almost reaching the max level). I checked this morning with the engine totally cold and it was normal.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
That's what I thought. So the oil has plenty of time to get to the bottom for a more accurate reading.

Thanks.

Although there are people who check it with the engine warm, I prefer to check it with the engine cold.

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
That's what I thought. So the oil has plenty of time to get to the bottom for a more accurate reading.

Thanks.

Although there are people who check it with the engine warm, I prefer to check it with the engine cold.

I always check mine after the car has sat (off) for at least a few hours, so usually in the morning or after work, also make sure the ground is level or it will throw the reading off

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
When the all the oil is in the pan, probaly after a few hours of sitting, and on level ground.

StreetSnake

Established Member
Its also the best time to change the oil too. Lot of people think you need to get it warm so all the oil flows to the pan. But the bottom line is it was warm the last time you shut it off so consequently all the oil is at the bottom of the pan. Just remember to have it in position the night before so you wont have to start it to position it. :beer:

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Ok, this morning I checked the oil level before starting the car and it was 3/4 full. Is it ok or should it be on the MAX line??

rcksblr

Established Member
Thats fine, how many miles have you drove since your last oil change? Usually if i'm low at all it's about time for any oil change. You have any leaks/burn any oil?

04CobraMatt

Established Member
Its also the best time to change the oil too. Lot of people think you need to get it warm so all the oil flows to the pan. But the bottom line is it was warm the last time you shut it off so consequently all the oil is at the bottom of the pan. Just remember to have it in position the night before so you wont have to start it to position it. :beer:

I have to drain mine hot to get a good sample for Blackstone :banana:

I just usualy let it drain a good 30min before filling back up.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Thats fine, how many miles have you drove since your last oil change? Usually if i'm low at all it's about time for any oil change. You have any leaks/burn any oil?

Less than 1,000 since last oil change. I don't have any leaks or oil burning problem. I just like to check it periodically.

Users who are viewing this thread