Best suspension for someone on a budget?

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
I really want to lower my cobra, and with 115K miles I would be stupid not to put new struts/shocks on it as well. I was perusing AmericanMuscle.com and saw the Eibach Lowering springs and though of pairing them with the KYB struts and shocks they sell (at a very reasonable price). Am I being too cheap? I've also seen sets of ebay of Tokico struts/shocks with the lowering springs included for about $500 bucks. What do you guys recommend?

9804SNAKES

Established Member
I am not familiar with KYB although they are much cheaper than Tokico or Bilsteins. I have Bilsteins and love them. Koni is another great brand. If you didnt already, use the search to search for KYB and see what people say about them. Take care.

Guizá

Established Member
I am using Eibach's Pro-System. Which comes with Pro-Kit springs and their struts/shocks. Off latemodel for around $600. That might be a bit above you're budget but I believe they still have the Steeda sports with Kybs kit for under $500.

94venomV8

Established Member
I would stay away from the KYB stuff. I hated mine, it rode super rough and jarred you on bumps. And I also had the eiback sport line kit. I now have tokico 5 way adjustable and can say that i love this setup. Even though the 5 ways are pricey, it was worth it because you can adjust it like a Cadillac or rock hard for whatever you want.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
looking to do the same as you. so far, seems like on the KYB's, only the AGX gets some approval. had bilsteins on my last car, but cannot afford them for this one. looking at the koni SR-T as a possible solution. I will also be interested in what people recommend.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
To do it proper you really need Caster/Camber plates too and that's an additional $150-$200. This will allow the struts to have full travel. You are lowering the car and the plates allow the top of the strut to protrude higher on the strut tower thus keeping the same stroke.

Or you can use Foxbody struts and the OEM mounting plates. On my SN95 Cobra I had Tein springs, Tokico Illuminas for a Fox body and OEM CC plates. Rode like a dream and was adjustable. The Fox struts have about 1" less travel because they are shorter. My OEM CC plates were on the last camber adjustment hole but it worked and the tires wore perfectly.

Last edited:

mrxr250rider

Established Member
I like tokico hps.,the blue ones. Cc plates are a must upr makes cheap 3 bolt ones. Mm or j&m,plates from am are better tho

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I strongly advise against the KYBs. Mine has the Eibach springs with KYB struts/shocks and it rides wonderful on the freeway, but it's incredibly rough on city streets.

1996slowbra

Established Member
There is a reason the KYB's are super cheap, they have no adjustment and have a poor ride on lowered cars. I have the blue tokicos as well and am happy with them.
I think if you spend a bit more on quality suspension you wont regret it. And oh yes +1 on the CC plats you are going to need them.

NA94mustang

For starters I'm a new member but visited this site and always received good information. Any way I'm looking to upgrade my suspension. I got a 94 GT with a 94 cobra swap. It’s got bout 156k miles and was lowered 2" by the owner before me. This ruined my shocks and struts. On top of that he didn't use cc plates and the ball joints are bad too. To start I was looking to upgrade my suspension by going with the LRS shock/strut/spring kit #LRS-5310C-K (only cause its cheap and I plan on changing to bilstein later). Also it raises the car because pot holes in Chi-town are bad. At the same time I plan on upgrading the front and rear control arms I’m going with the MM-MMFCA-7. My question is the rear control arms Maximum Motorsport has these MM-MMRLCA-30 but there only the lower ones. Is it better to get a kit with all upper and lower or would these be fine. FYI car is driven many on the street with some track use as well. I am a college student as well with a limited budget too.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I have adjustable kyb on all four corners and I have no complaints with them.

The only reason I'm swapping them out is for a full out drag racing suspension.

00_silvergt

Established Member
Are the kyb shocks/struts better than stock? I bought some struts from a friend. Too good of a deal to pass up. But if they arent that great ill sell them instead of installing. My car is already lowered

ConeCrusher281

Established Member
I know that the bilstein coil overs are a bit pricy but are they worth it vs the shocks and struts for someone who does Autocross?

Users who are viewing this thread