best supercharger for 5.0 stroker

recky2000

Established Member
I just bought a 03 cobra, the car already has 5.0 stroker and whipple 2.3 and the car made 580 rwhp running on 92 Octane pump gas here in Qatar. I want to run around 18 psi boost and the 5.0 liter engine needs bigger supercharger so is 2.9 whipple or kenne bell 2.8 LC is a better option!

matth121

Established Member
i think you could get more from that whipple- what size pulley is on it? aren't they good for about 700hp at 20psi on a cobra with the right setup?

recky2000

Established Member
i think you could get more from that whipple- what size pulley is on it? aren't they good for about 700hp at 20psi on a cobra with the right setup?

currenlty the pulley size is 3.0" and I am not planning not to go above 18 psi since it is hardto find high octane pump gas. Also it is hot over here and high IAT temp can make things worse.

GodStang

Established Member

On E85 maxed out. I have had a stroker for 10+ years and have run all types of blowers on it. 2.8LC like I am selling or 2.9 Whipple would be best all around if sticking with pump gas and lower boost/timing. If you plan E85 or race fuel and more boost look into the 3.2L or 3.4L. The smaller 2.3L and 2.2L I have found just don't flow enough to feed the stroker in my experience.

SlowSVT

Established Member
On E85 maxed out. I have had a stroker for 10+ years and have run all types of blowers on it. 2.8LC like I am selling or 2.9 Whipple would be best all around if sticking with pump gas and lower boost/timing. If you plan E85 or race fuel and more boost look into the 3.2L or 3.4L. The smaller 2.3L and 2.2L I have found just don't flow enough to feed the stroker in my experience.

Keep in mind the Ford GT 5.4 runs a 2.3 Whipple

blckRadda

Established Member
How much psi are you seeing now with the 2.3 what's your highest torque output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
You need to also realize that if you get a 2.9 and spin it at 18 psi your going to be about the same horsepower and less torque. The 2.9s need to be spun hard to make big power.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You need to also realize that if you get a 2.9 and spin it at 18 psi your going to be about the same horsepower and less torque. The 2.9s need to be spun hard to make big power.
But 18psi on a stroker is different than 18psi on a 4.6. The strokers are going to have more airflow than a 4.6. Add in ported heads and full exhaust and the 2.9 will probably be in its sweet spot even though it's "only" making 18psi.

On my old set up I had an F1A with a 3.8" blower and 12% overdrive crank pulley. But because I had a big bore stroker and full exhaust I only saw 19psi. IIRC the blower rpm was up around 65k at my shift point.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

SlowSVT

Established Member
But 18psi on a stroker is different than 18psi on a 4.6. The strokers are going to have more airflow than a 4.6. Add in ported heads and full exhaust and the 2.9 will probably be in its sweet spot even though it's "only" making 18psi.

On my old set up I had an F1A with a 3.8" blower and 12% overdrive crank pulley. But because I had a big bore stroker and full exhaust I only saw 19psi. IIRC the blower rpm was up around 65k at my shift point.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

You mean a stroker is going to "want" more airflow then a 4.6.

I was considering trading my 2.3 Whipple on my Boss block 5.0 for a 2.9 but my car will be mostly street running CA pump swill @ 16 psi and decided to keep the lil 2.3 which will allways be in its sweet spot running closer to it max efficiency at that boost level, requires less hp to drive and reduced inertia loads on the crank. Under driving a big blower on the street doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If I had any plans on throwing more boost at the mill then a 2.9 would be a better choice but I have no appetite for expensive race gas or mixing octane booster. With the added cubes this engine is going to be a torque monster!

OP I would lean toward a Whipple over a KB. The liquid cooled housing presents some problems like where do you plan on dumping the heat? Plumbing it into the IC system will make IA2 temps soar or connecting it to the engine gets you scalding hot water to the blower :uh oh: Whipple superchargers are air cooled (passive) and when it's freewheeling not making any boost will generate very little heat and getting cooled by internal airflow as well. When it does they have a rough cast surface painted block with ribs and lots of surface area you won't do much better than that for dissipating heat. For cooling the KB is a polar opposite, smooth, polished with minimal surface area no wonder they needed to resort to liquid (active) cooling :nonono: The best way to address this is a dedicated HE and pump who wants to do that? Just something to consider.

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member

This is my setup exactly. Currently on Eaton 2.8 pulley I see 10psi max. I am hoping to spin a 2.9 in the 'sweet spot' eventually using a 3.2" pulley.

Edit: Looks like a 3" upper and stock lower would be closer to the 'sweet spot' on a 2.9 assuming we're talking about spinning it at max rpm rated by Whipple (18k rpm).

8.25/3.2 x 6500 rpm = 16,758 blower rpm

8.25/3.0 x 6500 rpm = 17,875 blower rpm

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
This is my setup exactly. Currently on Eaton 2.8 pulley I see 10psi max. I am hoping to spin a 2.9 in the 'sweet spot' eventually using a 3.2" pulley.

Edit: Looks like a 3" upper and stock lower would be closer to the 'sweet spot' on a 2.9 assuming we're talking about spinning it at max rpm rated by Whipple (18k rpm).

8.25/3.2 x 6500 rpm = 16,758 blower rpm

8.25/3.0 x 6500 rpm = 17,875 blower rpm

There's a local guy here that recently built his engine. I can't remember if he did a 5.0 or kept it 4.6. I'm pretty sure he did a 5.0. But the heads were fully ported and he had custom cams. With a ported blower and stock pullies he made a whopping 6psi. He was hoping for stock boost to start tuning with.

recky2000

Established Member
since the previous owner decided to put whipple 2.3 and 5.0 stroker, I guess I might go twin turbos! I had Hellion kit before but i did not like the pipes going under the A arms. What do you think about On3performance TT kit?

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
since the previous owner decided to put whipple 2.3 and 5.0 stroker, I guess I might go twin turbos! I had Hellion kit before but i did not like the pipes going under the A arms. What do you think about On3performance TT kit?

If I was you i would just put a smaller pulley on it to to up the boost get more power out of it 600+, on3performance is cheap for turbo kits, so you have to be careful I hear good and bad about them, you pay for what you get , you can always pay $ money get a better upgraded turbo if you wanted to aswell.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
you can deff make over 600+ with your current setup. 2 friends of my setups below

2003 cobra borla catback and kb 2.2 18psi everything else stock stock motor put down 604rwhp

2003 cobra rebuilt forged stroker 5.0 (stock heads and stock cams) full exaust, plenum and throttlebody intake, 2.8 pulley/bolt ons stock eaton unported, he put down 505rwhp.

So I would say you have built motor bigger blower then him I think you should make more power

Users who are viewing this thread