Best Street/Strip Clutch

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Ok guys i have looked and looked at post after post about clutches.....
Ram 900 series
Mcleod
MMR(which i believe is a Mcleod clutch but correct me if i'm wrong)
CF DF
CF DFX
Spec
*any i missed please post
What is honestly the best street clutch(some track use) on the market(cars with 500+rwhp running MT's/26 spline).
I don't want to swap out different clutches like i would looking for the right catback.
Now i know this is going to be all opinion but damn guys, we need honest info on this subject, no one seems to talk about any other clutch on the market other than the DFX but if i'm understanding this correct it's for 600+rwhp setup(aka off and on clutch).
If this is the setup we all should be looking at then tell us again how great it is or tell us in-between guys(500rwhp mark owners) what setup is about perfect.
Thanks for any honest info.

jeffsvt

Established Member
Everyone seems to be on the DFX wagon as of late , but I don't understand it because very few people are using them . I myself went with a CF DF because I wanted something I could still slip at the track but still hook at the same time , I use drag radials 99% of the time . I considered the DFX but I don't want a puck disc they are to grabby for me personally and it seems it's all or nothing with any puck disc .

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I have successfully used the CenterForce Dual Friction for the past year. I have litterally beat the crap out of it and it has held up well. Pedal pressure is less than the stock unit too. Very streetable for daily use.
This is probably the best intermediate level clutch out right now.

I don't know how well it will hold up with the Whipple that I have now, but if it goes, I'll replace it with the DFX.

Dana

grnenvy

Established Member
hmm

I took my car to atco friday nite for the first time this year. Last year I ran 10.80s with the factory clutch and bfg's drag radials. This year installed 26 spline imput and a DF clutch setup and a fidanza fly wheel. I broke the clutch in 6-700 miles. I also have slicks on the car and it hooks like crazy. First pass with the new clutch I had a good launch 1.51 60ft but in second gear the clutch slips when the juice hit's. The clutch even slips in third with the juice. Seems like the DF can't handle the pwr and traction that I have. Does anyone have any Idea's I'm thinging about trying the 6 puck setup or a Spec setup. I really like the drivability and pedal feel of the DF but it doesn't seem to be holding the pwr and traction that I'm giving it. It does hold when not using the the spray.

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
nikemason said:
Centerforce DFX is to be said the strongest clutch ever made. You can abuse the shit out of it and it'll still hold.
They don't even list an application for Cobras on their website. Will they fit the stock Cobra?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
lol oops, if dana uses it then it must be good. dana said that hes goin with a DFX, are those better then a mcleod?

grnenvy

Established Member
hmmm

I don't know whats the best but the DF with the slicks and a 4k launch got me a 1.51 short time but then slips it's ass off in second and third. I'm going to see what Will Baty says on monday. Hopefully I can get this setup under warrenty. I did everything right, know reason for this problem.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
kneedragger said:
They don't even list an application for Cobras on their website. Will they fit the stock Cobra?

I believe it's only available with a 26-spline disk so no, it won't fit a stock Cobra

Last edited:

Cobra523601

Established Member
WELL I WENT WITH A CENTERFORCE SETUP AND IT WAS A PIECE. i INSTALLED THE PRODUCT ON THE CAR BROKE IT IN AND WHEN I GOT DOWN ON IT THE PEDAL WAS AT THE FLOOR ON MY 2ND TO 3RD GEER SHIFT. I THEN TRIED TO ADJUST THE CABLE TIGHTER BUT I GOT THE SAME RESULT. i SENT THE CNY-R-G FLYWHEEL AND THE CLUTCH TO ROB THE OWNER OF RPS. HE TOLD ME THAT THE DISK CENTERFORCE SENT ME WAS TO THICK WHICH IN TURN RUINED ALL OF THE NEW EQUIPTMENT. I THEN BOUGHT A NEW CLUTCH FROM RPS "THEIR" BRAND. TO ME ITS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. THE CLUTCH CAN BE AS NICE OR AS NASTY AS YOU WANT.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
wOTI2Mzg5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

oh welcome to the forums :beer:

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
nikemason said:
Centerforce DFX is to be said the strongest clutch ever made. You can abuse the shit out of it and it'll still hold.

That's yet to be proven - if it turns out to be the case then I'll give it consideration for my next clutch. The top 5 finishers at the MM&FF 6 speed IRS Cobra shootout had these clutches:

1) Jay Knott - Spec Stage 5 - [email protected]
2) Jerry Willet - Spec Stage 3i - [email protected]
3) Ray Bernstein - McLeod twin-disc - [email protected]
4) Roger Wilson - Excedy twin disc - [email protected]
5) Stphen Floyd - McLeod twin-disc - [email protected]

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
There is another point to consider and that is that a clutch that works with a solid axle may not hold up well with an IRS. The reason being that, typically, the clutch has to be slipped pretty bad on launch to prevent wheel hop.
This will generate a tremendous amount of heat and that is death to a clutch.

I actually think that the twin disk is the ultimate solution for these cars with their tremendous amount of torque, but those systems are still relatively new for these cars and are still getting the kinks worked out, not to mention the higher initial cost too.
Eventually one of the manufacturers will come up with the ideal material for the disk that will withstand the slipping the IRS can require and still be a streetable unit.

Just my .02

Dana

jeffsvt

Established Member
Cobra523601 said:
WELL I WENT WITH A CENTERFORCE SETUP AND IT WAS A PIECE. i INSTALLED THE PRODUCT ON THE CAR BROKE IT IN AND WHEN I GOT DOWN ON IT THE PEDAL WAS AT THE FLOOR ON MY 2ND TO 3RD GEER SHIFT. I THEN TRIED TO ADJUST THE CABLE TIGHTER BUT I GOT THE SAME RESULT. i SENT THE CNY-R-G FLYWHEEL AND THE CLUTCH TO ROB THE OWNER OF RPS. HE TOLD ME THAT THE DISK CENTERFORCE SENT ME WAS TO THICK WHICH IN TURN RUINED ALL OF THE NEW EQUIPTMENT. I THEN BOUGHT A NEW CLUTCH FROM RPS "THEIR" BRAND. TO ME ITS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. THE CLUTCH CAN BE AS NICE OR AS NASTY AS YOU WANT.

I recently placed an order for a CYN-R-G flywheel and Centerforce DF clutch . I was called by the place I ordered mine from and said they have had a couple problems as of late with that flywheel clutch combo . And basically he said the same thing disk is to thick and causing problems . So I'm waiting on the shop owner to get back from WFC to give me a call and find another clutch option .

This whole getting a clutch fiasco has me so pissed ! I placed my first order through LFP on 4/18/05 and after waiting 3 weeks nothing so I canceled my order . Now I'm going through JPC Racing . Hopefully I will get my clutch soon and get my transmission fixed so I can get to the track . I need my racing fix ! :mj:

Users who are viewing this thread