Best "street" 0-60 as reported by "track apps"?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Mine is several 4.6s but can't seem to put up a 4.5?

This is on level ground of course, well as close to level as you can tell by eye.

5.0 guy

Established Member
Funny as I tried to do my first recorded launch last Sunday, I live at 5800ft, the car only had 232 miles and I forgot to turn off the trac control. It bogged down on me from launch and I still got 5.3 so I know there is plenty more there to improve. I've never used the launch control before so haven't tried it yet

carguy19

Established Member
Mine is several 4.6s but can't seem to put up a 4.5?

This is on level ground of course, well as close to level as you can tell by eye.

3.4 w a set of really warm Mickey Thompson 17'' street drag radials set to 12psi. and a 4200 launch (no LC no helpers TC off ) Straight drag launch/clutch dump.

No mods on my car except hood struts (50hp) :lol:

Fordfourlife

Established Member
I have read the 0-60 track app is not very accurate. You should be able to get mid to upper 3s with sticky tires.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
4.1 with tc on LC at 3400 stock tires small burn out first and my cars a vert

My time matches this, and in the couple threads on this topic that I have seen, 4.1 stands as the best stock time I have personally viewed.

mike69440

Established Member
0-60 in 600 HP car?

My time matches this, and in the couple threads on this topic that I have seen, 4.1 stands as the best stock time I have personally viewed.

0-60 in 600 HP car is rather meaninless on street tires. If 0-60 is important get a GTR or a hopped up WRX or EVO. I gave up 0-60 etc. shortly after leaving 450 hp behind after dorpping on the Whipple. In fact ,I gave up track nights as I would rather not hurt the car or put up with the crowds and buying another set of rims and MT's etc. is not in t he budget.

Very ocassionaly I'll do a dig for the clouds of tire smoke.

I timed a 0-60 run of 7.5 seconds, 2nd gear start, being easy on the clutch and rolling int0 the throttle.

40-80 less than 3 seconds.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
0-60 in 600 HP car is rather meaninless on street tires. If 0-60 is important get a GTR or a hopped up WRX or EVO. I gave up 0-60 etc. shortly after leaving 450 hp behind after dorpping on the Whipple. In fact ,I gave up track nights as I would rather not hurt the car or put up with the crowds and buying another set of rims and MT's etc. is not in t he budget.

Very ocassionaly I'll do a dig for the clouds of tire smoke.

I timed a 0-60 run of 7.5 seconds, 2nd gear start, being easy on the clutch and rolling int0 the throttle.

40-80 less than 3 seconds.

Right, so learning to launch the car effectively and using the track APS as a common measuring stick is a waste of time.

Since you 'gave' up 0-60 you no longer care about a cars ability to launch?
Strange......

jtfx6552

Established Member
The app has been found to be innaccurate and more of a gimmick

While I'm sure the absolute number isn't all that accurate, it seems to be able to judge which launch is better than another. At least it agrees with my "butt".

mike69440

Established Member
Right, so learning to launch the car effectively and using the track APS as a common measuring stick is a waste of time.

Since you 'gave' up 0-60 you no longer care about a cars ability to launch?
Strange......

Correct, I don't care that much.

The wear and tear of repeated hard launches vs. the fun of practicing to get a good launch is simply not worth it for me.
I'm a 58 year old fart, who in earlier bracket racing days a quarter century or more ago, would have given a blank look at anyone who just said something like that.
Now I cringe at the sight of street squirrels that launch their WRX, etc by revving till it bumps of the rev limiter and then they sidestep the clutch. I’m shocked most of the time the car survives. Got to give the Japanese engineers credit!
PS I’ve grenaded a Ford 9” rear end. Really embarrassing calling the tow truck, really fun repairing it on jack stands.

With my 03, I amuse myself in other ways, like find the traction limit accelerating out of a curve, or seeing just how fast you can go without moving the boost needle (125).

Also, on finding rare conditions of a nice summer day when the tires and road is hot, and the road has some grippy texture to it, I have got a good launch or two out of the Cobra. Never timed it however, just seat of pants.

I’ve found getting some good wheel spin pretty much eliminates axle hop, then letting the car hook works best. Controlling wheel spin with a modded well tuned Cobra is actually is not difficult using the right foot. I Imagine the GT 500 with solid axle does not hop, but must be tough to control with 3.31 gears, i.e. bog or spin, even with an advanced TC.

I think 3.73 gears would help a lot, not from the standpoint of a quicker 0-60, as with 3.73 you would have to shift, but 3.73 gears would make for more consistent, easier, and controllable launches.
Unlike a stock 03 Cobra, the GT500 is not lacking for power, Traction and control determine the 0-60 time.

Users who are viewing this thread