Best Sprint cell phone?!

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I am almost in serious need of a new phone, I'm on probably my 5th Palm Pre and it is a POS.
What would you all recommend?
I've kind of gotten used to the smart phone with the internet and everything on tap.
A good friend of mine has the EVO 4g and he says he likes it but I don't know many people with Sprint with any of the other phones.
Feel free to chime in, thanks!
:rockon:

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Step dad has the Evo and loves it.. i had the moment.. it died.. and i got stuck with some piece of junk crap replacement phone that drives me up a wall.. Im going to eventually throw it at a tree or something..

Once im up for a renewal I will be getting some sort of HTC phone they have.. possibly the new evo2

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Step dad has the Evo and loves it.. i had the moment.. it died.. and i got stuck with some piece of junk crap replacement phone that drives me up a wall.. Im going to eventually throw it at a tree or something..

Once im up for a renewal I will be getting some sort of HTC phone they have.. possibly the new evo2

Haha, thats how I feel every time I talk on my Palm, I see why they went out of business!
I was just curious what other people use, what they like, the pros and cons of actual users of these phones.. not what the Sprint employees says.

Yes, I searched this site and googled reviews of a couple specific phones such as the EVO 4g and Samsung Epic.
This Palm is terrible. The operating system is cool (web os) but the phone itself sucks. Screen/power button/speaker have gone out on all of them, and I am not hard on phones.

0310thstock

Established Member
You can't go wrong with the Evo or the Epic. My wife and I have them. I don't remember any other phone before these.

03DOHC

Established Member
My Evo is the best phone I've ever had. If you do end up getting the Evo you should get an extended battery as all of the features that the phone has sucks the stock battery dry in hours. With my extended battery I can go a couple of days with moderate use to a week with minimal use without recharging. Just an FYI. Once you get an extended battery then you can leave on everything and use all the phones features.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
I just bailed from Alltel/Verizon after 8 years, to Sprint on an Evo Shift 4G (although there is no 4G service anywhere near here). My first smart phone, and I love this little bastard. It SLAUGHTERS battery though, although the triple charge trick seems to have helped it alot.

My friend has the Evo 4G and loves it, but is debating on swapping to the Shift after running a quadrant test on mine, and it blowing his phone out of the water. The Evo has a bigger screen, but the Shift has a slide out keyboard.

Then again, listening to me is probably pointless, I rolled out with a Nokia brick phone for years, then two pos LG Alltel flip phones, then a Krazr for the last 6 months, so this Shift is like alien technology to me!

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
My Evo is the best phone I've ever had. If you do end up getting the Evo you should get an extended battery as all of the features that the phone has sucks the stock battery dry in hours. With my extended battery I can go a couple of days with moderate use to a week with minimal use without recharging. Just an FYI. Once you get an extended battery then you can leave on everything and use all the phones features.

Did you get the Gorilla Gadgets 3500 battery? I wonder if the Shift and Evo have the same battery? Im terrified to go crazy using the phone when Im not near a charger, because the battery goes down in a heap, and thats with alot of stuff turned off, and turning off the screen ASAP after use.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Good information on the Evo and Evo shift.
Thanks for the input. My buddy has the Evo like I said and he has been talking about rooting? it.. something about redoing the computer on it, I'm not completely familiar with it.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
I see that on the android forums, still not 100% sure what it is, and it scares me lol. I think once you do that, you can get rid of the bloatware thats on the phone, like the stupid ass apps you cant seem to turn off, no matter what.

As far as other stuff, I downloaded Dolphin HD for the browser, since it has tabs, unlike the stock Android browser, and it seems to be a decent browser according to stuff I have read online. My friend put an app killer on my phone, but I suspect it's using more battery than it's saving.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I see that on the android forums, still not 100% sure what it is, and it scares me lol. I think once you do that, you can get rid of the bloatware thats on the phone, like the stupid ass apps you cant seem to turn off, no matter what.

As far as other stuff, I downloaded Dolphin HD for the browser, since it has tabs, unlike the stock Android browser, and it seems to be a decent browser according to stuff I have read online. My friend put an app killer on my phone, but I suspect it's using more battery than it's saving.
Nice.
I'd like to hear more on some of this. I may try to research if there are ways to get more life of out the battery-extended and non-extended.
I will be ready to buy in a month or so when this one craps out.
By then they may even have another phone out, or so I hear.
:pop:

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
There are tips on what to turn off if you google it, but mine seems to eat alot of battery just from the display alone, even with the brightness turned down. I predict a bigger battery in the near future.

They have a new HTC Windows phone coming out, but windows doesnt seem to be the hot stuff in the cell phone world right now.

03DOHC

Established Member
There are tips on what to turn off if you google it, but mine seems to eat alot of battery just from the display alone, even with the brightness turned down. I predict a bigger battery in the near future.

They have a new HTC Windows phone coming out, but windows doesnt seem to be the hot stuff in the cell phone world right now.

You shouldn't have to turn off anything. What's the point of getting a phone with all kinds of features only to disable them? Get a bigger battery and don't worry about it.

03DOHC

Established Member
Did you get the Gorilla Gadgets 3500 battery? I wonder if the Shift and Evo have the same battery? Im terrified to go crazy using the phone when Im not near a charger, because the battery goes down in a heap, and thats with alot of stuff turned off, and turning off the screen ASAP after use.

No I got the seideo 3500mha battery.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
You shouldn't have to turn off anything. What's the point of getting a phone with all kinds of features only to disable them? Get a bigger battery and don't worry about it.

Yea, but I dont need wifi, gps, 4g turned on, so I keep those blood suckers off lol. I do really need a bigger battery asap regardless!

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
Epic 4G here. Got it on release and there was a few bugs. Couple patches later 0 problems.

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
I like the on screen keyboard, however there is a slide keyboard that is much easier(and way faster) for me to type on. It also has the 'swipe' little thing built in, that is also nifty but I don't use it much if at all.

The battery life is actually fairly nice to previous phones I have had. When just talking here and there, and sending a few texts per day - it usually lasts about 3 days. But if I am bored at work (which is always), youtubing, svtping, hardcore texting, listening to pandora then of course it is going to die quickly. It is usually almost, if not dead after I have done an 8 hour shift.

Camera is VERY nice, along with the video. There are many options for the camera as well. IE exposure, flash, dark/light/sport/scenic etc etc. Also has auto-adjust and focus.

The only CON I really have is the droid 3rd party applications. The droid market IMO is a mess and needs to be revamped. There are good and useful apps, but it is a big hit or miss.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
My wife has the Evo and I have the Evo shift. We love them. I preferred the slightly smaller phone with the slide out keyboard, so it works great for me.

I'm pretty happy with sprint. have been for last 3 or for years I think.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I like the on screen keyboard, however there is a slide keyboard that is much easier(and way faster) for me to type on. It also has the 'swipe' little thing built in, that is also nifty but I don't use it much if at all.

The battery life is actually fairly nice to previous phones I have had. When just talking here and there, and sending a few texts per day - it usually lasts about 3 days. But if I am bored at work (which is always), youtubing, svtping, hardcore texting, listening to pandora then of course it is going to die quickly. It is usually almost, if not dead after I have done an 8 hour shift.

Camera is VERY nice, along with the video. There are many options for the camera as well. IE exposure, flash, dark/light/sport/scenic etc etc. Also has auto-adjust and focus.

The only CON I really have is the droid 3rd party applications. The droid market IMO is a mess and needs to be revamped. There are good and useful apps, but it is a big hit or miss.
Ok cool, thanks for the pros and cons. I appreciate it.

My wife has the Evo and I have the Evo shift. We love them. I preferred the slightly smaller phone with the slide out keyboard, so it works great for me.

I'm pretty happy with sprint. have been for last 3 or for years I think.

So the Evo shift is slightly smaller with a slide out keyboard.. I see. I need to research that as well and check out the other differences.

I've been with Sprint for almost 10 years, even before they bought Nextel, in my opinion it has only gotten better as time has progressed. At first the company and its service was a little rough and sketchy but now I don't have any complaints.
Their prices have gone up a bit but are definitely not the most expensive out of the companies on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread