Best Spark Plugs...

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
Hey guys just wondering what kinda spark plugs you guys are running...right now all I have is the Borla Stingers, I plan on getting a JLT CAI and a tune soon so just wondering what I should go with...thanks:rockon:

SpectorV

Established Member
there are tons of opinions and things to look for... we need a sticky going over this as I myself will be in need of some new plugs soon.

For stock boost the oem (22 ones that were in the second run cobras) seem to be good. Once you go up in boost some recommend the TR56s it seems.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
NGK TR6's are a decent upgrade over stock, especially when upping the boost with the Eaton. They are cheap plugs to go with when you decide to pulley the car, and they get the job done just fine.

But they are not the best plug. A lot of people who have them have suffer from a rough idle, and the car seems to have a "stumble" in the lower RPM's under normal driving conditions. For some, normal drivablilty can suffer a little bit with these plugs and a lot of people don't like that.

Because of this (or when pushing high amounts of power), a lot of people upgrade to and recommend NGK TR6 Iridium or NGK TR7IX. After switching, people see their rough idle completely smoothened out and the low RPM stumble goes away. Also, some even notice a slight increase in gas mileage and an overall better running car. These plugs are expensive, but are a nice upgrade over the TR6's. Many will agree that they are well worth the money.

I have the TR6's and am on my second set. My first set stumbled so much that it felt like there was waves in the road. I switched them out after about 3K miles. I'm now my second set with about 2K miles on them and the car idles much rougher than the first set. And that's even after a good amount of tuning work in the lower RPM range to help with the stumbling I was having.

I'll be switching to the TR7IX's real soon. I have a few more mods planned in the near future, but personally, I don't like the drivablilty of the TR6's. My car is a DD so I want the best drivability I can get, as well as performance.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
You know it is interesting how a certain products acceptance can grow on a board like this... the NGK's seem to be always the plug that is suggested and I am sure it is a great plug. I really wonder if it is any better or the use of it grows just by suggestion... either way I am old school and use Champion Copper RS9YC gapped at .035 and I think they are buck and a half a piece or something. Never any blowout... perfect idle. Same heat range as the NGK TR6. This is not a shot against NGK at all, just an observation...

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
SoCalHarley said:
I really wonder if it is any better or the use of it grows just by suggestion...
Personally my decision to run the TR7IXs was based on a LOT of reading and research on here and other sites. Not to mention years of experience with plugs in other cars over the years. I think if you were to look a few years back likely the plug of choice on here was the copper TR6, so a lot of people would, and still do, agree with your old school philosophy. But yeah the NGKs seem to be the plug of choice for this and other forums which could be because many people, including myself, have had bad experiences with inexpensive plugs.

Last edited:
jmproductions said:
Personally my decision to run the TR7IXs was based on a LOT of reading and research on here and other sites. Not to mention years of experience with plugs in other cars over the years. I think if you were to look a few years back likely the plug of choice on here was the copper TR6, so a lot of people would, and still do, agree with your old school philosophy. But yeah the NGKs seem to be the plug of choice for this forum and many others.

What difference have you found from the TR7IXs over the TR6IXs? I see your running a 6lb lower. I've used the TR6IXs since I've been pullied and have enjoyed the smoother idle in comparison the copper TR6s. I was under the impression that TR7IXs were a tad cold for 14psi and under.

I'm actually going to install my WeaponX iridiums next week. They are a beauty and looking at them they are slightly different than the NGK plugs.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
01cobravortech said:
What difference have you found from the TR7IXs over the TR6IXs?
The heat range of the plug is not really boost dependent. The cooler plug will just be less prone to predetonation which is especially destructive in high boost situations. However the trade-off is that the cooler plugs may have a tendency to foul out sooner but I've already resigned myself to changing the plugs in the Cobra every 10K or less.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
jmproductions said:
Personally my decision to run the TR7IXs was based on a LOT of reading and research on here and other sites. Not to mention years of experience with plugs in other cars over the years. I think if you were to look a few years back likely the plug of choice on here was the copper TR6, so a lot of people would, and still do, agree with your old school philosophy. But yeah the NGKs seem to be the plug of choice for this and other forums which could be because many people, including myself, have had bad experiences with inexpensive plugs.
I am sure you have made a well thought out decision based on past experience as well as current research, that is a valid one. I too have used many plugs over the years and I have to tell you that there is no silver bullet when it comes to plugs... the name brands seem to perform well but many will have varied experiences based on individual vehicle characteristics etc. My point was more of an observation... I would have to argue that NGK's however are that much better than other types out there, witness my soild experience with the Champion RS9YC's. It is just that many have had decent experience with the NGK's and that has added to their popularity. I have had has good experience with many brands and just happened on the Champs and in my car they are great... I am sure however that the NGK's would work equally as well.

Fuerza

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
What difference have you found from the TR7IXs over the TR6IXs? I see your running a 6lb lower. I've used the TR6IXs since I've been pullied and have enjoyed the smoother idle in comparison the copper TR6s. I was under the impression that TR7IXs were a tad cold for 14psi and under.

I'm actually going to install my WeaponX iridiums next week. They are a beauty and looking at them they are slightly different than the NGK plugs.

Keep us posted about those Weapon X iridium plugs. I was looking at those today.

Users who are viewing this thread