Best spark plug, gap, and belt.

03WhiteL

03WhiteL
Established Member
Hello I just got a 04 cobra it already had 2.8 upper pulley, idler bracket pulley, predator canned tune, cai, catted x pipe, cats back, and a BM short throw. I just started add my own mods I’m waiting on my bbk 65mm t-body, lfp heat exchanger. Once I install these mods I’m going to change the plugs and belt and get her dyno tuned. The questions are what are the best plug, gap, and belt to put on the car? Thanks

Stangcharger

forged 4.2L v6
Established Member
NGK-tr6 plugs never failed me and work great.

gap .35 or lower tuner will tell you.

Gatorback belt for serpentine belt.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Sometimes it takes a while to get any responses. I would've responded sooner but didn't see the thread.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yeah I know. I do the same thing if I start a thread. You keep going back and checing it. It takes at least a full day and a night for all the regulars to reply to a thread. Even then if it gets bumped off the first page it will get overlooked.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
2nd Opinion

TR6 seem to work well for a lot of people, but I like the TR7IX plugs plus they might last a little longer and no re-gapping necessary.

I would go for a Gates belt.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Are the TR71X a recomended plug for theses cars?
Yeah by me :lol1:

Actually the TR6IX is probably the closest NGK plug to OEM. However most of us are running additional boost so the cooler 7 heat range is not a bad idea.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Im going to do a pulley system, cutom tune and have already bassani cat back with FIPK. Should I go with tr6 or tr7, Ill spend the extra to get better stuff, or can I wait to do plugs later?

SVT10TH#1721

Established Member
I run The TR6's also and have had good Success. I have not tried the TR7IX though. For a Belt Gates is what I have found works Best.

smknvette

Established Member
I have pretty much the same thing and im running tr6's gapped at 35, and a 74in. gatorback belt. Very tight but went on. Also used a gates belt, wasent much difference. Either one works good. If you go over a 74.5in belt it will slip.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
On Stegs site, he posted that a .038 gap be used with a ported setup and 2.76 upper. I put mine aroun .038, should I take it down a bit?

That's the largest gap I've ever seen anyone post on here. I can't tell you what to do for sure. Hopefully someone else that can positively will chime in though.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
That's the largest gap I've ever seen anyone post on here. I can't tell you what to do for sure.
Well it's still quite a bit tighter than stock. I would probably bring it in a little to something closer to .035. Or he could try it and see what happens. The trick is to run the largest gap you can without getting spark blowout.

Users who are viewing this thread