Best sounding muffler for L/T's and off-road H

ZX6Ray

Established Member
Hello all! Tried searching but I wasn't getting anything good to turn up for my question.

I am running 1-7/8 AR long tubes and an off road h pipe with stock mufflers on my 2011 GT500.

Looking for a muffler that is slightly louder yet retains the lovely sound of the gt500 mufflers. I would like more of a classic muscle car sound at idle and up. I don't know which direction I should take but we have no emissions requirements here so no worries about that.

I would appreciate any help at all! Thanks!

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Tried borla, flow master , and magna flow. Back to stock and it seems to be the best for me. I do have dynatech and ORX so maybe that's what tricked up my set up

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have JBA 3" catback and they sound great. Many others run this and love it at as well, the only issue is ever since JBA got bought out a few years back the quality went straight down hill.

Also people like the MMS Mac mufflers, all though I haven't heard much about these lately.

The best way to removed the popping and rasp is a chambered muffler, or add a resonator in the system

ZX6Ray

Established Member
I went to MMS website and I did not see the MAC mufflers available for the GT500. What's the part number? All I see are the stock mufflers that I already have.

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
What is a DR. Gas Freq Mod??? :dw:

Its not a specific built axle back or cat back like everyone else is posting. Dr. Gas is an exhaust company and the muffler of theirs i run is the freq mod. They make great products. It's not a bolt up axle back. I run the Roush Extreme cat back which is just resonators in the OTA pipes and then i put the dr. gas freq mod mufflers in the place where the stockers go.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
How would pypes muffler delete sound?

Do NOT do this (just my opinion). It will be ridiculously loud and it's not a refined sound at all. If you just want loud, that's the way to go, but it doesn't sound good at all IMO. Not a fan of muffler deletes, especially without cats and most definitely not with long tubes and no cats.

DR. Gas Freq Mods. This is with an X but i bet the H would mellow it down a bit more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPUnSApirw

Are those uggs? For real? :lol:

That is a mean sounding exhaust though, but Roush mufflers are LOUD without cats, so keep that in mind.

My vote would be the Magnaflow Street series first...
Magnaflow 2011-2012 Mustang GT / GT500 3.0" Street Cat-Back System - Magnaflow - Cat-Backs - Exhaust - 2011-2012 - Ford SVT Shelby GT500 - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

Second would be the Borla Touring
Borla 2011-2012 Shelby GT500 Stainless Steel Touring Cat-Back System - Borla - Cat-Backs - Exhaust - 2011-2012 - Ford SVT Shelby GT500 - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

Both will give you great sound but not be over-bearingly loud. Let us know if you have any questions about this exhaust or others as we carry several different brands as seen here: Cat-Backs - Exhaust - 2011-2012 - Ford SVT Shelby GT500 - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

Last edited:

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
Are those uggs? For real? :lol:[/QUOTE said:
That is a mean sounding exhaust though, but Roush mufflers are LOUD without cats, so keep that in mind.

No sir, not Ugs! How dare you accuse me of wearing such metro sexual shoes.:dancenana:
Those are Genuine Georgia leather work boots.

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
I personally think the '11/'12 muffler has a great sound especially when you factor in how much mufflers are for these cars.

dirtychamba

Django
Established Member
I asked this same exact question a few months ago..

I love the sound of OEM but just wanted a tad louder...

Listen to me sir ,

I probably went through 5 different setups and nothing sounds as good as stock!

I went with borla attack , roush , frrp sport , and nothing sounds as good as stock.

They would sound good at initial start up and idle but once you get on them, the dead can hear you... The blower sound is almost unbearable , and you can't really hear for any strange sounds, knocking etc...

I have a 2013 rear conversion so what I did was buy four, 4 inch chrome tips and weld them over the 2013 OEM gt500 mufflers.

Everyone loves the sound. And you can go wot in the city without telling people 3 miles away...

jbice03

Established Member
Do NOT do this (just my opinion). It will be ridiculously loud and it's not a refined sound at all. If you just want loud, that's the way to go, but it doesn't sound good at all IMO. Not a fan of muffler deletes, especially without cats and most definitely not with long tubes and no cats.

Are those uggs? For real? :lol:

My vote would be the Magnaflow Street series first...
Magnaflow 2011-2012 Mustang GT / GT500 3.0" Street Cat-Back System - Magnaflow - Cat-Backs - Exhaust - 2011-2012 - Ford SVT Shelby GT500 - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

Second would be the Borla Touring
Borla 2011-2012 Shelby GT500 Stainless Steel Touring Cat-Back System - Borla - Cat-Backs - Exhaust - 2011-2012 - Ford SVT Shelby GT500 - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

Both will give you great sound but not be over-bearingly loud. Let us know if you have any questions about this exhaust or others as we carry several different brands as seen here: Cat-Backs - Exhaust - 2011-2012 - Ford SVT Shelby GT500 - Vehicle Selector - Shop Now

I have the stock exhaust manifolds and had magnapacks with high flow cats and a bassani X. I thought that set up sounded really nice but I blew the packing out of one of my cats. Had the cats removed and that was way to loud so I swapped the magnapacks for the magnaflow street and it sounded good but at certain RPMs it had sort of a wierd rattling sound. I put the magnapacks back on in the place of the cats and I like the sound. I think 2 sets of magnapacks would sound really good especially with the H pipe and there cheap.

Last edited:

ZX6Ray

Established Member
Ok thank you for all your inputs! I just decided to keep my stock mufflers and get another set of muffler deletes for those car show occasions once in a while. I got some slp loudmouths from a member on here for $250. I have heard the pypes but they didn't sound as good as the slp's. This allows me to be loud when I want to be and throw the stocks back on when I grow tired of the NASCAR sounds. lol

Should be fun setting all those car alarms off in the parking garages!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread