Best shift RPM on a basically stock 01 GT

01PonyGT

Slow1 GT
Established Member
What are the best shift points on a basically stock 2001 GT? Ive been shifting at 5200 where the flywheel horse supposedly peaks. Any suggestions? I hear some say that closer to 6 grand is better. Thanks in advance.

Wicked

Established Member
You shift such that you drop the rpms into the sweet spot in the next gear. Shifting at 5200 is probably too low for the 1-2 shift. Most will say shift as high as possible on the 1-2. Use your butt meter and your ears, you will be able to tell when the revs stop climbing as fast. You shift just before that point.

01PonyGT

Slow1 GT
Established Member
Gotcha, thanks man. If i were to get my car dynoed and figure out my exact numbers, would that give me a better idea of where to shift? I.E. shift at peak horse power at the wheels?

Wicked

Established Member
01PonyGT said:
Gotcha, thanks man. If i were to get my car dynoed and figure out my exact numbers, would that give me a better idea of where to shift? I.E. shift at peak horse power at the wheels?

Yeah a dyno would give you a better idea, but its not always that simple. It has to do with always putting as much wheel torque down as possible.
Since gear ratios and rpm drops between gears are different, you have to find the proper rpm to shift at that will maximize torque in the next gear.

Generally your shift point rpm will drop with increase gear. What I mean is, you may shift at 6K from 1-2, 5500 from 2-3, 5300 from 3-4. This is all based on what the torque will be in next gear.

Given a dyno graph, I could make an excel file that would figure wheel torque in each gear and therefore predict ideal shift rpm.

thenoz

SHUT THE F*CK UP CHARLES
Established Member
i've heard that you wanna shift so that you drop into your peak torque.

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
What would you shift at in an 03 cobra? I usually do it at the red line (6500). In My 01 it was supercharged with no rev limiter so i was always afraid to power shift. i shifted at about 5500 to 5700 in first and about and 5300 in the rest. I let it rev to 6600 doing a burnout once at school, freaked the shit out of me.

01PonyGT

Slow1 GT
Established Member
power shifting

Power shifting...great mystery to me. Please break it down big bird to cookie monster for me. Just about all i know is that you ram it in at the exact right time...Help?

random-strike

Banned
01PonyGT said:
Power shifting...great mystery to me. Please break it down big bird to cookie monster for me. Just about all i know is that you ram it in at the exact right time...Help?

power shifting is not shifting WITHUOT the clutch. thats called dumbass shifting.

power shifting/speed shifting ext is keeping the gas floored, and punchin the clutch and shifting at the same time

01PonyGT

Slow1 GT
Established Member
Goooood to know. All i ever hear is the kind you said was dumbass shifting, hence why i never tried it. Any tips on how to do this? Are the exact rpm points or is it just how fast you are with the stick and the clutch? I shift pretty well I'd like to think.

Wicked

Established Member
random-strike said:
power shifting is not shifting WITHUOT the clutch. thats called dumbass shifting.

power shifting/speed shifting ext is keeping the gas floored, and punchin the clutch and shifting at the same time

:werd:

What I do is, apply a little pressure to the shifter in the forward or reverse direction(depending on the next gear you will be going to). When you get to your shift rpm, pop the clutch and the shifter/hand preload smacks the next gear. It all about foot speed and making sure you apply enough clutch and let it all the way back out. Don't get lazy.

P.S. Powershifting should be done at your own risk, although on a NA Gt you should be fine all day.

Users who are viewing this thread