Best set-up with a port...

kyhemi-dart

03 Zinc Cobra
Established Member
Im currently running a 2.76 upper only on my car with a Posi port. Mods and numbers are in sig. Im wanting to add a 4lb lower. My question is, what is the better combo for street/track car: 2.76/4lb or 2.93/4lb?? Seems like more people run the 2.9/4 combo on ported cars. Is there a big diff in the heat the 2.76 produces for me to send the money on a 2.9??? Im just curious....

89slowgt331

Established Member
There are manly different pulley combo's that work. give brian a call he will steer you in the right direction. from what I have learned 16psi seem's to be the peak of a ported eaton, depending on your intake set up, Exhaust, and alt. find the pulley combo that get you there. I only saw 15 psi with a 2.93/4# combo. I am running a ported stock TB, I think I would pick up a pound to 16psi if I had a dragon TB, but I just re pulleyed my car to 2.76/4# and hit 16.5. The car feel's alot stronger but I have not got to drive it enough to give you a good opinion of the pulley combo.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
2.93/4lb combo seems to be the way to go. It'll give you the best gains most consistently. Anything more is just generating more heat, there's quite a few guys on here running the 2.93/4lb setup and they all love it. I'm sure they will chime in

rudycobra

Established Member
I have 2.8/ 4 lb but only 15.7 psi or so . I'd like to go to a 6 lb or 2.75 to try get Lil more . You can't just go by the pulley sizes though because headers and exhaust or no cats will affect how much boost u see .

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
With all the supporting and cooling mods I would run a 2.76/6lb combo on E85 with lots of timing and a healthy shot of nitrous! That's my ultimate port combo.

rudycobra

Established Member
If I had to do it again I would go with 6 lb lower that way u have room to play with the upper . Id rather a Lil bigger upper if possible to help with belt slip

kyhemi-dart

03 Zinc Cobra
Established Member
When I had my car tuned i think the boost peaked at 12.6 #, so i figured adding a lower I could get 15/16 # I might see if i can find a 2.9 somwhere cheap and try it out, could always go back i suppose

kyhemi-dart

03 Zinc Cobra
Established Member
With all the supporting and cooling mods I would run a 2.76/6lb combo on E85 with lots of timing and a healthy shot of nitrous! That's my ultimate port combo.

Haha sounds like a damn good set up to me. Only prob is we dont have E85 were i live, closest place is 30 mins away :nonono:

rudycobra

Established Member
If I was u I'd just try it with the 2.75 . That's wat I may try next if cant get a stock caged 6 lb instead of my 4 lb

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member

I tried that combo with zero gains at the track compared to the 2.9/6lb combo I settled in on. The Eaton just poops out lol. E85 or not the blower just can't do it in my opinion.:beer:

kyhemi-dart

03 Zinc Cobra
Established Member
If I was u I'd just try it with the 2.75 . That's wat I may try next if cant get a stock caged 6 lb instead of my 4 lb

where did you get your stock caged 4lb? i knew there was a hread on them but didnt know if they were still doing them or not?? what did it cost?

rudycobra

Established Member
There's a thread on here , it wasn't cheap think like 650 if remember correctly . They talking bout still doin another run but believe it will b few months . It's a good investment for piece of mind but try searching and see how metco setups actually cause crank failure or problems . U would find many .

Huff035

Established Member
I tried that combo with zero gains at the track compared to the 2.9/6lb combo I settled in on. The Eaton just poops out lol. E85 or not the blower just can't do it in my opinion.:beer:

Kind of glad I came into this thread, I was just about to pull the trigger on a 6lb lower in anticipation for getting a killer chiller this winter. hmmm...

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^ so your saying there has been a lot of crank failures using metco's lower set ups?

No.

Typically it seems it's 3.4 Whipple cars with aftermarket belt tensioners.:beer:

I run a Metco lower on my car and with the new motor going in it, it'll still have a Metco lower on it as well.

Huff035

Established Member
^ huff035, you have any track times? with your set up?

I do... although they arent the best. (it was my first time ever to the strip and I was IRS braceless so i was being easy) I ran an 11.8@126, with a shitty 2.0 60'

Oh and that was on bald 18" nitto 555r's

rudycobra

Established Member

Brian what kinda boost u seeing with that combo ? Will b calling u in few days . Want to get Lil more out of my car .

fastlane65

Starting lots of projects
Established Member
If I had to do it again I would go with 6 lb lower that way u have room to play with the upper . Id rather a Lil bigger upper if possible to help with belt slip

Agree. Have a 6 lb and stock upper now, soon swapping for a ported blower and plan to keep 6 lb lower and run a 3.10 upper. Should be around 15 lbs boost with more pulley surface for the belt to grab.

Users who are viewing this thread