Best Semi-Auto Rifle???

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
what are you using it for? .22 if you just want to do some plinking. AR-15 is a good all around weapon. i wouldnt get something too big with ammo getting more expensive. i love my 16" AR

anc2514

Genesis 1
Established Member
what are you using it for? .22 if you just want to do some plinking. AR-15 is a good all around weapon. i wouldnt get something too big with ammo getting more expensive. i love my 16" AR

.22? Maybe a .223? I don't know much about them either but do know a .22 will just piss someone off, no? I've shot an AR-15 before and liked it. What are some of the pros/cons of an AK47 vs AR15? What do you have and why'd you choose it?

lilphillysvt

tommyguns
Established Member
hands down a ar15. its more of a system because theres so much stuff you can do to one compared to a ak47. not knocking a ak, but you can do so much more with a ar. aftermarket wise.

lilphillysvt

tommyguns
Established Member
Schweet, thanks for the input.

anytime, my family owns about 8 to 9 ar15s, depending if my brother bought anymore today(phillysvt). all different makes, including one colt m16a1. we own one rpk ak47 and im waiting on a arsenal 107ur thats being sbr. there all good guns. if your looking to do alot of aftermarket stuff, go with a ar15. but if you do decided to go with a ak47, go for the best, arsenal that is.

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
Just get the AR. cant go wrong. looks cool, has a lot of attachments to customize the way you like, less expensive ammo compared to other rifles, and you can shoot all day without getting sore.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
+1 on ar15.com its a great website filled with knowledge on both the AR & AK platforms. You could always build a AR-15 in .223 and also have a 6.8spc upper for a bit more oomph. 6.8spc upper should fit right onto your .223 lower and literally takes all of 25 secs to swap

Last edited:

anc2514

Genesis 1
Established Member
+1 on ar15.com its a great website filled with knowledge on both the AR & AK platforms. You could always build a AR-15 in .223 and also have a 6.8spc upper for a bit more oomph. 6.8spc upper should fit right onto your .223 lower and literally takes all of 25 secs to swap

Wow, good info. Thanks!

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member

you have to get a magazine kit to convert your mags to the 6.8SPC but you can change to .458 SOCOM and use your .223 mags unmodified. Price of ammo comes into play. you can also do .22 conversions to shoot for cheap.

dogmush

Established Member
Seriously? Guys, try to get enough info to actually be helpful rather then just spouting off.

OP What's the intended use? Range, home defense, compitition? Combo of the above? What is your expected range? 100M, 200M, 400M, 1000M? If home defense is it urban or rural? What are your expected threats? Human or animal? If game big or small? Dangerous or not? What kind of building will you be using it in? Apartment? House? Wood? Brick? Do you want Optics? Will you be carrying it? How much do yo want to spend? How much will you shoot it? How much do you want to spend on ammo?

Rifles have been designed and built for different things. You just asked the equivilant of: "I need a gas powered car to drive around. Which one?" Folks will be glad to help, but without knowing the intended use we'd just be randomly picking a weapon. If you haven't thought of some of the questions (Lots of folks don't before their first rifle) think about what you will do with it, then let us know. You'll get more meaningful answers then.

Otherwise, just get a Barret M82A1 :evil:

Last edited:

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member
If you want a nice little plinking rifle that will also take down small game, you can't beat a Marlin model 60 .22 or a Ruger 10/22. If you are looking for a little larger caliber then the AR is a good choice along with the AK and the Ruger Mini 14.

anc2514

Genesis 1
Established Member
Well, thanks for taking the time to help me see the questions I should have answers for, let me try to help.

Seriously? Guys, try to get enough info to actually be helpful rather then just spouting off.

OP What's the intended use? Range, home defense, compitition? Combo of the above?

Range and Home Defense

What is your expected range? 100M, 200M, 400M, 1000M?

400+, maybe eventually 1000. I've always said if I went into the military I'd want to be a sniper...

If home defense is it urban or rural?

Urban

What are your expected threats? Human or animal? If game big or small? Dangerous or not?

Human intruder.

What kind of building will you be using it in? Apartment? House? Wood? Brick?

Apartment now, house in the next year. Brick.

Do you want Optics?

Possibly, eventually.

Will you be carrying it?

If so, rarely, but possibly in the truck/car.

How much do yo want to spend?

under $1,000, preferably the lesser the better.

How much will you shoot it?

Once a month at the range, hopefully never at a human intruder.

How much do you want to spend on ammo?

As little as feasible with the above answer taking precedence.

Rifles have been designed and built for different things. You just asked the equivilant of: "I need a gas powered car to drive around. Which one?" Folks will be glad to help, but without knowing the intended use we'd just be randomly picking a weapon. If you haven't thought of some of the questions (Lots of folks don't before their first rifle) think about what you will do with it, then let us know. You'll get more meaningful answers then.

Completely understandable, and am grateful you took the time to ask these questions.

Otherwise, just get a Barret M82A1 :evil:

:dancenana:

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i own an ar, ak, and a beretta cx4 storm.

if you dont want to spend a lot look into a storm. mine is .40 s&w but you can get it in .45acp or 9mm... great gun for the price!

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Well in light of Dogmush's questons (really good questions might I add) I retract my vote for AR-15. Not really sure what would suit you best, I will say though for home defense nothing beats a good old shotgun.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
7400wd[1].jpg

Remington Model 7400

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread