Best Radar Detector?

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
I was wondering what the best one to get is.

First off a little back ground: My dad just got an 05 Ford GT. It's red with all option but the top stripes. Right before he decided on the red, I made a comment about him buying a red mid-life crisis car. To go along with the joke I want to get him a radar detector for his birthday. I have a feeling that he will get some use out of it, not to mention that if he gets a ticket in it my mom will kill him.

So what is the best one. I have heard that the valentine ones are pretty good, but I have also heard that the passports are good too. What do you guys have and what should I get my dad.

PS the price doesn't really matter I want to get him a nice one that will work really well.

I will also try to get some pictures of the GT up as well.

Hopeful

Established Member
Valentine One, no doubt.
Look at the car and driver issue where they compare radar detectors. You know how critical that magazine is and it gave the Valentine a 97 total, closest one to it was a 73.

Trmin8r

Established Member
I have a Passport X50 and it's great. When I was buying mine, I debated between the X50 and V1.... ended up with the X50.

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
shlbygt said:
So, is the GT the one that Swanson Ford had?

Yeah, we went in on the last day that they were open, and got a pretty sweet deal.

Thanks for all your input guys. I am torn between the V1 and the Passport. The V1 may work a little better, I am assuming, but it is sort of ugly, the X50 is cleaner, and in reality the car is not going to be driven that much. He also has a 2001 BMW Z8 that has maybe 4300 miles on it and that is a lot more practical then the GT. I'll do a little more research and let you know what I pick

Last edited:

PDubs

Established Member
V1 is pretty cool. Don't get the regular Passport 8500. I've heard the Passport x50 is better than just the regular one.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
If your dad had picked up a DeLorean, I would have suggested a V1. But since it is for a GT, something a little more...how do you say...modern, is probably right up his alley.

Last edited:

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
Get the Passport. The V1's work great but they are FUGLY AS HELL. I wouldn't even pay $200 for it no matter how good it works. :nono:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread