Best race since I've had the Cobra

res0n0xg

Established Member
On the way home from work on an open street I pull up near a beautiful looking Porsche 997 turbo! Guy sadly didn't look a ton older than me, maybe 30ish I guess. Either way, we both look over he smiles, I give thumbs up and roll down the window. We're sitting at the light and I tell him I don't want to race from a dig as I can't get traction on street tires.

He's cool with it so we roll out to 30mph, good enough I guess, he gives me the hit so I spin a good bit and he he comes and pulls dead even with me as I catch traction, we stay even until about 100mph which is too fast for the road we were on so we jam the brakes hard coming up to a hill and slow down again.

This time about 45ish he honks it off! Not me, hahaha, what a cool Porsche owner.... anyway, I'm in a good spot for 2nd gear and when we hit I spin again sadly and he gets about a 1/2 car and we stay about even from there to maybe 90-95 again when we had to let off.

I was pretty happy with the results, but wonder if I could have pulled slightly with better tires. He did have some other passenger though, albeit it was two small asian guys. I weigh about 230, and am in my full weight vert.

Mods in sig.

c6r

Established Member
Sounds like you had a good time and most importantly you know when to shut it down for safety. :banana:

res0n0xg

Established Member
What does a 911 turbo usually run? High 11's in the 1/4 I'm assuming, I wonder what kind of trap. Just curious who should come out on top in that race normally.

res0n0xg

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the model was a 997, as in the newer model porsche. I know they had the 996 up until like 06 or something. But they're still all called 911 turbos.

Found some stats on autoblog for the 2008 saying 11.6 at 119mph, that's more like it as my car should run around there.

Pretty nice setup 480hp/460tq, not sure what that is at the wheels but I'm not dissapointed now at least.

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the model was a 997, as in the newer model porsche. I know they had the 996 up until like 06 or something. But they're still all called 911 turbos.

Found some stats on autoblog for the 2008 saying 11.6 at 119mph, that's more like it as my car should run around there.

Pretty nice setup 480hp/460tq, not sure what that is at the wheels but I'm not dissapointed now at least.

You are right. I was thinking of a 996 turbo. They run around 116mph. The newer ones are faster I am sure.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Was it the manual or auto? From a dig the auto is faster, I think the auto was also quicker in the quarter.
Nice runs!

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Great races man. Good thing you aren't living some place really cold, you would have alot less traction from a roll.

res0n0xg

Established Member
I didn't ask if he was manual / tiptronic or whatever. The outside temps were right around 50 with low humidity, so pretty ideal for us both. From a dig I'm sure he would have jumped out a couple cars as I know their 0-60 times are sick.

I just need to get a set of ET streets so I can go to to track and run a 120mph trap, I should be able to I hope.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
I didn't ask if he was manual / tiptronic or whatever. The outside temps were right around 50 with low humidity, so pretty ideal for us both. From a dig I'm sure he would have jumped out a couple cars as I know their 0-60 times are sick.

I just need to get a set of ET streets so I can go to to track and run a 120mph trap, I should be able to I hope.

+1 good to see another vert owner tearing it up.

The first kill I ever got was in the summer time, my top down vs a Carrera Turbo with the top down, both of us had passengers, my mods were similar to yours and from a 50-about 125ish I managed about 1 car both times.

He was like a 70 year old asian guy with his wife, gave me a thumbs up, cool as hell!

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
fast cars. iirc they trap 122 at like 11.x. I am very lucky to have driven one and they are extremely fast from a stop.

Users who are viewing this thread