Best product to dry car?

V8Mustang

Established Member
I know this is basic but I've been using bath towels for about 20 years b/c I heard a chamois will strip wax. Are there any better methods for drying that will not remove wax?

digdugdaddy

Tainty Suprise
Established Member
I've used this thing called the Absorber. They have different colors and it comes in its own tube. Advance, WalMart, and some hardware stores sell them. Work awesome and I've never had a problem with them removing wax.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
Chamois, absorbers, etc... are garbage in my opinion. Get an electric leaf blower. If you keep your car waxed well, as we all should, the leaf blower will literally send the water flying off the car. You can dry the entire car in less than ten minutes even if you've never used a blower before. I can dry my car in about 5-8 mins. The best part is, you never even touch the car. No swirls, no wax stripping.

I picked mine up for 50 bucks at Sears a year ago. Best 50 bucks spent ever.

Here is teh blower I picked up. Its killer, looks like a bazooka and is a vac/mulcher also.

V8Mustang

Established Member
Snarf said:
Chamois, absorbers, etc... are garbage in my opinion. Get an electric leaf blower. If you keep your car waxed well, as we all should, the leaf blower will literally send the water flying off the car. You can dry the entire car in less than ten minutes even if you've never used a blower before. I can dry my car in about 5-8 mins. The best part is, you never even touch the car. No swirls, no wax stripping.

I picked mine up for 50 bucks at Sears a year ago. Best 50 bucks spent ever.

Here is teh blower I picked up. Its killer, looks like a bazooka and is a vac/mulcher also.

Well, that is interesting! Very innovative. The only thing I'd be concerned about is when blowing near the ground, it might pick up sand and blow it on the car. I guess the only time this would be a concern is when you are about to wax the car (then you could use a mechanical method).

anaxagoras

Established Member
waffle weave towels are great. Like the meguiars water magnet, then i'll go over the car really quick with a microfiber towel to pick up anything i may have missed on the first pass.

i've used an absorber, it's a great product but KEEP IT CLEAN, dirt can get stuck on it and scratch the jesus out of your car.

Bootie

Established Member
A good drying tip is take the spray nozzle off your water hose and just use the straight water hose to do final rinse. You'll be surprised how much water sheets off. The I use the good ole' fashioned cotton towel. I've been afraid of microfiber a bit b/c all of them have polyester in it. I heard poly will scratch. Is that true?

Scott P

Established Member
SnipeJDM said:
I've been afraid of microfiber a bit b/c all of them have polyester in it. I heard poly will scratch. Is that true?

Microfiber is 1/100 the size of a human hair. Good quality microfiber is safer than cotton on your finsh.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I like the Maguiar's Water Magnet towel, but I was too cheap to order a nice micro fiber waffle weave towel so go figure.

I got my WM for $6 at pepboys.

V8Mustang

Established Member
Pussy_Liquor said:
Forget the towels and chamois's. Go with the California Water Blade. I've been using this for about 7 years, it is the best for drying your car IMO. It's very soft, doesn't strip wax and I can dry my car in about five minutes. You can get at Wally world or just about any local auto store. http://www.calcarduster.com/autoOriginalCaliforniaWaterblade.asp

I'd considered one of these but I did not know how well it would do on a non-flat surface, like around the hood area on an 03/04 and the spoiler transition, for example. Seems like you would need a clear path for the water to go since you are not absorbing it.

mexis97gt

Established Member
Pussy_Liquor said:
Forget the towels and chamois's. Go with the California Water Blade. I've been using this for about 7 years, it is the best for drying your car IMO. It's very soft, doesn't strip wax and I can dry my car in about five minutes. You can get at Wally world or just about any local auto store. http://www.calcarduster.com/autoOriginalCaliforniaWaterblade.asp

amen brother the water blade is gift from the car gods! i love it i used it for the first time a few weeks ago and honestly there are a few spots the blade cant get but those spots are so small you can get them with a cotton hand towel. car is DRYED in less then 10 minutes

Juiced-03

Established Member
that's funny, I absolutely hated my water blade. I tried it several times and it just never seemed to work. :shrug:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I hate the water blade as well... for me when it's hot I swear it leaves streakes from the silicone blade and I can't imagine if a piece of debris was on your car and you swiped it all over. I just use the cheap wallmart microfiber. One towel gets the car done, no scratching.

Matt94GT

Established Member
I use a leaf blower too, I have a gas one though prob should get an electric haha. Works great but I find water still collects around the rear wing and bumper as well as wheels so I just use a terry towel in those spots usually.

Users who are viewing this thread