best power adder for fox body

icurry4990

Established Member
hey guys ive got a 1989 lx notchback with a semi-built 306 and now im going to the next step....i want some opinions from fellow fox owners to see what power adder i want to install....right now i am leaning toward a supercharger, but the price tags of those things has me thinking turbo....any help or input would be nice. thanks in advance :dancenana:

Last edited:

wesessiah

Established Member
i'm a supercharger guy, even though i'm in the process of the turbo kit this time around for a change. if you have x amount of power in mind, and a supercharger can make it, i say go with the supercharger. that's roots/twin screw style by the way, not a big fan of centrifugal. a turbo (in my opinion) just has better characteristics. you don't have to wait till the very top to make peak boost on top of lack of bottom end delivery. a roots (or better yet) twin screw is my preference for type of power delivery, just never liked the exponential boost delivery of a centrifugal.
a turbo is a little more involved, install and upkeep, but you can make a lot of power.

edit: some people (a lot) like the power delivery style of a centrifugal, so you'll see a lot of opinions different than mine... just not my cup of tea with small displacement.

Last edited:

runsonboost

Established Member
If your looking for cheap and easy go with spray. I have a zex kit that I have run on 3 different cars. Takes about an hour to put it in and I run 100 shot on pump gas and 12* of timing. I don't really race that much so a bottle lasts me a couple weeks. You can pick up a used kit for pretty cheap. This winter I'll be putting together a single turbo kit of my car. But spray can hold you over then sell it when you have another setup, you can usually get pretty close to what you paid for it.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Spray, is the easiest and cheapest mod. Superchargers are ok, but if you are going to do any forced induction, I would just build a budget turbo build. My buddy did his car for under 3k and that included buying megasquirt. Nitrous is running 6-800 dollars these days for a new kit, and then its about 50-60 per bottle. It doesn't take long and you can either buy a s/c or t/c. Nitrous on the street is illegal a turbo or s/c isnt. Just something to keep in mind.

wesessiah

Established Member
i forgot to mention nitrous... i second that for absolute best bang for the buck.

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
I got my used blower for $1,500. Don't have to fill a bottle. I love my S/C, however next year year I am putting a turbo on it to try something new.

F8TL89

Established Member
get a used centri. They can be found cheap and you can make rediculous power with them

Users who are viewing this thread