Best place to source a new gas pedal?

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Drove the Cobra to work this morning, did a few pulls. Suddenly my gas pedal started feeling kinda wobbly. Ill check it later but i'm assuming it is broken in some way. Anyone else have this happen?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Drove the Cobra to work this morning, did a few pulls. Suddenly my gas pedal started feeling kinda wobbly. Ill check it later but i'm assuming it is broken in some way. Anyone else have this happen?

Man, that's some serious driving to break/wear out a gas pedal LOL........... Should be able to get one out of the pick and pull yard (AKA: junk yard). I would guess it's the same on all 99-04 Mustangs. The cable may be what's different. That's just purely a guess though.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Man, that's some serious driving to break/wear out a gas pedal LOL........... Should be able to get one out of the pick and pull yard (AKA: junk yard). I would guess it's the same on all 99-04 Mustangs. The cable may be what's different. That's just purely a guess though.
I havent checked it yet as im at work. But Im assuming its something to do with the plastic part of the pedal.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
That's odd.

I bought a full set of OEM ford racing pedals on ebay several years ago. Think they were around $70. Was worth it to me to have all nice, new stuff to grab onto.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If it turns out to be something with the arm and the mount let me know. I might still have the one from my 01 in the garage. You'll just have to swap the pad to match the rest of the pedals.

TP03

Established Member
Had similar problem last summer and replaced pedal. If I remember correctly I bought the new pedal from LMR. (Plastic broke away from where the pin goes through).

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
^^^^^^This

Same thing happened to me too. You can try to glue or epoxy it all back together and add a small washer around the hole for support. That helped me until I bought a new pedal.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Odds are your small plastic bushings have popped or worn out. You can see one missing in the pic below. When one or both of these pop out you will have side to side play/wobble with the pedal.

44937808772_58011494b1_c.jpg
IMG_8544

How they looked removed
*Note you can not remove the center pedal pin without ruining it. You can replace the plastic bushings if you are careful. It requires slightly bending the pedal bracket until you have enough room to gently slide the plastic bushings in place.

44937810022_04cf67049f_c.jpg
IMG_8547

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I went to the junkyard and picked up a few spare gas pedal assemblies. They are all the same in SN95 cars. Its the plastic pedal pad portion that is different in the 03/04 cobras. The pedal pad can be successfully replaced if careful. I found the easiest way to pop the pressed retaining pin out is with a air hammer. Trying to use a socket, punch and vise or c-clamp method damages the plastic on the pedal stop.

Anyway here is the aftermath of me trying to swap out the oem pivot pin and plastic bushings with brass bushings and bolts. I wasnt happy with the result so i never posted it. I'll probably re visit improving the oem pedal assembly at some point. I think they suck and bend easily.

44075221095_7c8e0c186e_c.jpg
IMG_8546

Users who are viewing this thread