Best place to find a blown Termi?

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and to my license but not cars. I'm just sixteen but I've done some pretty neat things haha, my last big build was a fully built four banger turbo for a friend's Nissan 240sx (built to hold 25psi, but we soon realized that 6 psi and 300rwtq dyno proven where way more than enough in a 2300 lbs car)

I'm currently dailying a 1999 f350 powerstroke, and I'm dying to get back into a nice car. I've dreamed of these cars since I was too little to know what a piston was, and now I want one. The only problem is the funds, I work as much as I can during the week but this still won't be cheap. I was hoping I could get some good info on where to find a cobra with a blown motor? I'm ready for the next project and I'd love it to finally be some American power. My only questions are the following. The first is how much Would a blown cobra run me? I imagine blown they wouldn't be much more than 10 grand...there's a running one for 15 for sale on Louisville Craigslist right now.

The second is could I afford to keep it? I work as many hours as possible now at a local shop and work full time there in the summer and when things get slow the owner lets me leave and I work on a farm and make great money, and I try and do side jobs on the weekend, but still since I have to pay for gas and insurance, is this even possible? And would a 99-01 cobra be cheaper to insure/fuel?

I really appreciate any answers to these questions. Thanks for taking your time and reading all of this!

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm a few weeks from being 30yrs old and have a very clean driving record. No tickets in 10 years, and only accident I've had was when I was 15 and I pay $440 for collision per 6 months with 2500 deduct. Then figure property taxes at close to 200, thats 1000+ a year just to own it. Not even drive the damn thing.

In my experience, fast cars + teenagers = bad things. The best thing that ever happened to me was my first car was a fast one (my one wreck at 15) it taught me a lot about respecting cars. I would really, really have to trust my kid to put them in a terminator at that age.

Last edited:

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
Well, Im 20 have had a couple speeding tickets (no points tho) and I use to pay 360+ just for insurance in PA for my GT. When I moved to MD I got the cobra and I pay 170 a month for it. Just depends man

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
A good friend of Mine was paralyized for a few years after a bad wreck...it was a completely humbling experience to see and completely made me have a new level of respect for cars (the friend is all better now, but the memories still stay as a constant reminder)

cj428mach

Established Member
A good friend of Mine was paralyized for a few years after a bad wreck...it was a completely humbling experience to see and completely made me have a new level of respect for cars (the friend is all better now, but the memories still stay as a constant reminder)

LOL times have changed. Fast to me in high school was a mid 13 second LT1 Fbody. Its a big difference when you go up to a pullied Terminator with 450ft lbs of torque right off idle. There is a reason you see a large number of dead terminators because they over powered their owners. I'm not saying you can't just be aware this isn't 5.0 pushrod/4th gen Fbody stuff. Fast has a whole new meaning.

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
Oh if I do find one I wouldn't dare pully it till I've driven it for a while. Plus I want it more to show off at a good car show or have nice cruiser (not trying to seem arrogant, these are just amazing cars) than race around. Plus these cars are legendary! I hang out with mostly import people and they always talk about how they look for the cobra badge before they go to pull with a mustang.
I always suppose I could try and find a 99-01 and fix it up, I just hear those had weak suspension and just weren't as high quality as fords usual product. But still where would be a good place to find one with something like a dropped valve or a spun bearing or something mechanical wrong?

cj428mach

Established Member
Oh if I do find one I wouldn't dare pully it till I've driven it for a while. Plus I want it more to show off at a good car show or have nice cruiser (not trying to seem arrogant, these are just amazing cars) than race around. Plus these cars are legendary! I hang out with mostly import people and they always talk about how they look for the cobra badge before they go to pull with a mustang.
I always suppose I could try and find a 99-01 and fix it up, I just hear those had weak suspension and just weren't as high quality as fords usual product. But still where would be a good place to find one with something like a dropped valve or a spun bearing or something mechanical wrong?

The for sale section here is probably the best place to find one. You'll find one that someone has modded and toasted the motor on.

Its funny that someone your age would appreciate these cars. I was 19 when these cars came out and to me they're legendary. They dominated the streets and scared the competition to death (they still do). You've made my day to know the younger crowd knows of the Terminator. :rockon:

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
Haha there's still a few kids that like these cars around! I just really don't know if I can do this though. I worked hard and had saved since I was seven to buy my current truck (which I got a great deal on through work...didn't start and owner just said f*** it and it turned out to be a few bad sensors from someone he paid to put a reman motor that pinched the wires) and I know getting one of these I would get so much flak from people saying it was just daddys money that bought it. But I'm hoping I can sell my current truck for ten and get a good starting point on one.
I noticed your user name, back when my dad was my age he bought a numbers matching torino super cobra jet with no motor or tranny and built a 429 to put in it. I guess cool cars just runs in my family!

Users who are viewing this thread