Best place for 351w based short/long blocks

BV600

Established Member
Weighing the cost of a built 408 vs coyote swap, where's the best places for 351w based motors?

crazycarlo

Established Member
You looking for something already assembled? If you have the money then id contact Ford Strokers and talke to Woody, he will get you setup. If your looking for budget friendly and your going to build then either buy a budget shortblock for like $1200 or the junkyard and look for a roller block and have it rebuilt.

BV600

Established Member
I've found a couple places. Looking for assembled shortblocks that can hold 6-800hp

crazycarlo

Established Member
Talk to Woody at fordstrokers. I havnt dealt with him directly but ive been around various forums for a while now and they have great positive feedback. He will get you straight. I believe the 351 block will handle the but aything above that may require and aftermarket block. However im not expert and thats just stuff ive seen and read so he would be the one to ask.

blownfox

Established Member
I believe Woody is only building Dart blocks now. He was having an issue finding good stock blocks and most of this customers were ordering aftermarket blocks anyway.

BLKFOX

Established Member
Fordstrokers. I talked to him not too long ago and he was still doing some of the 351 based short blocks. However, if you're going to spend some money on it now, I would go ahead and agree with going aftermarket block.

Ford1288

Established Member
Ford Strokers or AD performance. Ford strokers has a long wait list, would get your build faster with AD performance.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
A o.e. block 351W is only going to hold 500 or so HP reliably.
If you main girdle, hard block and valley girdle you can make them live to 650-700 (more with turbo's of course by not stressing the crankshaft)
At the same time a O.E. Coyote is only going to take so much power with the O.E. crank rods and fasteners.

The main question is How much power do you want to make and what is the budget for a build?

If you have nothing to start with a 351 Dart based build with a inline head at 6-700 HP oil pan to intake is going to run 10-15K depending on what you want.
A Coyote build is even more if you want one that will take power and be reliable.
Crate engines are for people building street rods or installing in cars to sell.
Ultimately it comes down to what you want to do short and long term.
The old Windsor is going to be a gas hog unless you build it super tame the Coyote will get better economy.
One will turn 7K when built right reliably the other will turn 8K+ reliably.
One is 60's based the other is modern.

Users who are viewing this thread