Best oil wieght for high mileage motor

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Wife drives a 2000 Explorer 5.0 (old skool) with 200,000 miles. We have had it since 92,000 miles and I have always used Motorcraft synthetic (factory recommended wiight) with Motorcraft filter. The motor has never had so much as a valve cover taken off of it (knock on wood here), but I have noticed a TINY bit of what I think is valve chatter in it. It doesn't happen often though.

Should I still be using the factory recommended weight or switch to something a little thicker to account for wear in the engine?

photobucket-561-1338009146900.jpg

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Does the engine have any leaks at all?

I ask because it's not uncommon for a high mileage engine using synthetic blends to leak after going full synthetic. It's not a fault of the better lubricant, it's that the true synthetic will clean better and may remove build up that is blocking a leak.

In those events, I always recommend a lubricant with seal sweller in them.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Established Member
Actually no, it has not a single oil leak in it. It does have a small bit of blow-by, I think though, as I go 5000 miles between changes, and it may be slighty more than half-quart low between changes.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Actually no, it has not a single oil leak in it. It does have a small bit of blow-by, I think though, as I go 5000 miles between changes, and it may be slighty more than half-quart low between changes.

This is what I run in my high mileage engines, with great results. Only have to change the oil in the vehicle once a year assuming I do not exceed 15,000 miles. They also gain mpg with it over lesser base stock lubricants. You may or may not notice a decrease in consumption, depending on the condition of your rings. However, if consumption is due to the formulation (higher NOACK on Motorcraft), you will see a decrease.

Amsoil 0W-30

Amsoil EaO11

silver03svt

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. Two more questions. 1. Do you know if R.P. makes anything in those weights? 2. Can I use that weight year round in VIrginia?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks for the advice. Two more questions. 1. Do you know if R.P. makes anything in those weights? 2. Can I use that weight year round in VIrginia?

Anything RP makes in a 5W-30 will be fine for your climate.

In a pinch, Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 is another off the shelf choice.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Established Member
Thanks for the advice Beast. And thanks for being here to answer all our questions.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Another good choice is the M1 High-Mileage oil, especially since it's an SL formulation. I use the HM 5w30 in both my DOHC 4.6's that actually have relatively LOW miles (they HM oil has an elevated level of Zn & P plus some other conditioners). The Cobra gets an oil change once a year, but with less than 1,000 miles in between and my SUV goes about 10 months & 5,000 miles.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Another good choice is the M1 High-Mileage oil, especially since it's an SL formulation. I use the HM 5w30 in both my DOHC 4.6's that actually have relatively LOW miles (they HM oil has an elevated level of Zn & P plus some other conditioners). The Cobra gets an oil change once a year, but with less than 1,000 miles in between and my SUV goes about 10 months & 5,000 miles.

The newer high mileage lubricants from Mobil 1 show normal API SN levels of ZDDP, at least from the VOAs I have viewed.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Just stay with motor craft. My 04 F150 5.4 has 184k miles on it, and all it has ever used was 5w30 Syn Blend and a motor craft filter. No noises, no leaks, no blow by, nothing. I know we are not talking a old push rod motor, but to change the oil to something different now, will more then likely bring on oil consumption. I have seen it 3 times with my own vehicles. I would just stick with what you are running now, it hasn't failed you yet.

ZV Cobra

Established Member
Does the engine have any leaks at all?

I ask because it's not uncommon for a high mileage engine using synthetic blends to leak after going full synthetic. It's not a fault of the better lubricant, it's that the true synthetic will clean better and may remove build up that is blocking a leak.

In those events, I always recommend a lubricant with seal sweller in them.

This same thing happened to me. I bought my car with 88k miles and put RP in it. It now leaks a small amount of oil. What product with seal sweller do you recommend. Thanks

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Valvoline MaxLife has seal swellers in them, as does Mobil 1 high mileage.

My girlfriends 2002 Jaguar X type leaked/consumed oil. I used Amsoil ATM 10W-30 to see if consumption would slow down a bit, it really did not. Against my morals, I tried a stop leak additive that had a very viscous base stock and seal swellers. It worked like a champ. The leaks/consumption slowed down so much, I can't tell it's still occurring.

I waited until the oil was 1 quart low, then added the stop leak. It was a 1 quart bottle. Wish I could remember what it was, but it works.

Last edited:

ZV Cobra

Established Member
Valvoline MaxLife has seal swellers in them, as does Mobil 1 high mileage.

My girlfriends 2002 Jaguar X type leaked/consumed oil. I used Amsoil ATM 10W-30 to see if consumption would slow does a bit, it really did not. Against my morals, I tried a stop leak additive that had a very viscous base stock and seal swellers. It worked like a champ. The leaks/consumption slowed down so much, I can't tell it's still occurring.

I waited until the oil was 1 quart low, then added the stop leak. It was a 1 quart bottle. Wish I could remember what it was, but it works.

Thanks for the help man appreciate it. I think I will give the mobil 1 a shot. I have also looked at the stop leak products but have been told not to go near them. Who knows

Users who are viewing this thread