Best oil pan

94slowbra1

Established Member
So im going to do an upgraded oil pump and oil pump gears when I do my cams this winter. I've already decided that I'm going with the gt500 pump and gears from Boundary. This pump pump flows more that the stocker which has me thinking about possibly draining the pan. Am I over thinking this? Is the factory pan sufficient for a hi flow pump?
If not what is the best pan out there? I have read about sealing issues with some, is that still relevant? I'm still on a stock k-member so it needs to fit that.
Thanks

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are the gears different? Or is the pump body that helps it flow more? What size pan do the GT500's run?

Last edited:

94slowbra1

Established Member
The gears are the same, the pump housing itself it better flowing, from what I have read anyway. And honestly I have no idea what size pan the gt500s run. The pump is also found on the 3v motors if that helps. If the stocker is fine im down with saving a few $$$, but I would hate to be right there and miss out on replacing it if its needed

01yellercobra

Established Member
Stick with the stock pan then. The 3v takes 6 quarts and it has the VVT system. You could run 7 quarts for piece of mind.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
The GT500/3 valve pump has a steel back-plate vs the aluminum versions which makes it stronger and keeps gears from getting out of align. Search the factory oil pan capacity on here or google. Someone took pictures of the factory oil pan fill with each quart. It took 9 quarts before it even got to the windage scrappers. So you'll be fine with 7qts.

Users who are viewing this thread