Best noise cancelling headphones that won't break the bank?

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
So I'm getting to the point that I can't hardly stand to wear earbud style headphones anymore. They really bother my ears. I'm looking to purchase a pair of over the ear noise cancelling style headphones. They will be primarily used when flying and listening to music. I was just curious if anyone could recommend some decent ones that won't break the bank. I can't justify spending $300 on a pair if there is something out there that is cheaper that sounds decent, and cancels out other noise. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Kyle

Blown 89

Established Member
You should be banned for suggesting Beats. Seriously. Beats are absolute garbage as far as headphones go.

I hate it say it but Bose does noise cancelling well. Even the guys at headfi suggest them. The sound quality sucks balls but they do in all low price active noise cancelling headphones.

Etymotic research is hard to beat for isolation and the sound is top notch. Futuresonics have foam inserts that block a good deal of sound too if you wanted something bass heavy.

HandBanana

Established Member
You should be banned for suggesting Beats. Seriously. Beats are absolute garbage as far as headphones go.

hahahaha truth. I'm a fan of Sennheiser. They are expensive but excellent sound quality and noise-canceling is top notch. If you really want noise-canceling, you will need to spend 300+

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
Please, tell us how you really feel.

Lol, Beats aren't bad, just a bit over hyped.
No, beats are bad. Unless you like deep sloppy diarrhea bass with a massive drop off and highs that sound like there's a pillow between the driver and your ears. When I first listened to them they were great....until I realized what I wasn't hearing in the music.

OP, just go full potato man:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6JEYD4/ref=s9_al_bw_g23_i4

Last edited:

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
I guess I wouldn't HAVE to have the noise canceling feature, but something with decent sound quality. It would just be nice to have something that blocks out all the other noise. I've never really worn over the ar style ones, as all I've ever used was earbud style, so I really don't have anything to compare them too. I'd love to find a set of used Bose ones so I didn't feel like I was totally breaking the bank.

Troponin

Established Member
I guess I don't have to say that Beats are overrated now? lol

Not sure of the price range you're looking at, but if you want decent ear buds without spending a lot, I have been using these Bose for a while and like them. Their noise canceling isn't super awesome though, but I do notice a difference when I put them in.

If you're willing to spend a little more, hands down, IMO, one of the best bangs for the buck are Audio Technica ANC7b noise canceling headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...8261&sr=8-2&keywords=Audio-Technica+ATH-ANC7b

Last edited:

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
I guess I don't have to say that Beats are overrated now? lol

Not sure of the price range you're looking at, but if you want decent ear buds without spending a lot, I have been using these Bose for a while and like them. Their noise canceling isn't super awesome though, but I do notice a difference when I put them in.

If you're willing to spend a little more, hands down, IMO, one of the best bangs for the buck are Audio Technica ANC7b noise canceling headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...8261&sr=8-2&keywords=Audio-Technica+ATH-ANC7b

I'd like to stay with earbud style just for the fact that they are super small and take up no space, but my ears can't handle having them in anymore. I've tried tons of them, and my ears are just sensitive and bother me. I can't even hardly handle earplugs at work anymore. That's why I'm wanting to get away from them and go to an over the ear style.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Welp. My old Senns HD 497s died tonight. I think my 10mo old son chewed through one of the cords. Only one earphone works now. I bought these when I was in high school, probably 15ish years ago. Not a bad life.

I'm springing for the Senn HD 380s. They've had killer deals recently on Amazon so I'll try to tough it out with some earbuds, but I'm so used to a quality headphone... so we'll see. Good luck.

Troponin

Established Member
I'd like to stay with earbud style just for the fact that they are super small and take up no space, but my ears can't handle having them in anymore. I've tried tons of them, and my ears are just sensitive and bother me. I can't even hardly handle earplugs at work anymore. That's why I'm wanting to get away from them and go to an over the ear style.

The second ones I posted are full size. Check around and see if anyone carries anything like that in your area. SOmetimes it helps to listen to them first. These $120 headphones sound as good, if not better, than a lot of $250+ that are more well known because of their marketing.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I love my Beats Studios but they are that brand that overcharge because of their popularity. My ATH M50s sound alot better for half the price however the Beats do have good sound cancelation. Since you're not looking to spend $300, I'd forget about those two along with Bose. If I were you, I'd probably look into some Sony MDR-NC200Ds

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
I have been looking at the Audio Technica ath-m40x's. I honestly wish there was a store local to me that sold them so I could go try them out. The only place I've seen them is online on Walmarts website.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
I went ahead and purchased a set of Audio Technica's. I bought the ATH-ANC7's. I couldn't pass them up for $65.00. They are used, but in almost mind condition. They came with the cables, and case. So, I guess we'll see what happens.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Beats Studios sound great! Sure they’re not the best bang for the buck but to say they sound like crap its a bit over the edge. Overpriced, big yes, sound like crap? Eh no..

Sennheiser is my choice as well. Problem is that most of these headphones are not available at your local store, so your comparisons are usually $40 Skull candy vs Beats, go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread