Best MOTOR OIL & Filter

Spectre500

23yrs USAF RET
Established Member
Ok, I know this is a controversial subj, I just wanted to get a quick run down of the best oil and filter for our S/C GT500's.

Has anyone used the Magnet that you install on the outside of your filter and does it work??

Interval, how often do you change 1K, 2K, 3K?

Happy New Year!! :)

6-Speed

Established Member
I use the Motorcraft synthetic 5W50 motor oil. Castrol Syntec also meets/exceeds the Ford WSS-M2C931-B spec. I've been using the Motorcraft FL-820S filter, but I plan to switch over to the Ford Racing filter on my next oil change.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
ive been using the 5w-50 Roush/Valvoline Full sysn oil. its also meets/exceeds the Ford WSS-M2C931-B spec. i also use the Motorcraft FL-820S filter, the ford racing filte at $13-$14 each is a little pricey an i always change my oil every 3k. at this point the best oil is just peoples opinion since there has been a real compasions between the companys in this oil weight. so no one actually has proof that there oil holds up better than others

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I use the Motorcraft synthetic 5W50 motor oil. Castrol Syntec also meets/exceeds the Ford WSS-M2C931-B spec. I've been using the Motorcraft FL-820S filter, but I plan to switch over to the Ford Racing filter on my next oil change.

Castrol and FRPP filter here. I usually change the oil when she starts to turn colors, I.E. 12-1500....crazy I know, but this isn't my DD

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My response to another thread. Until someone posts up an oil analysis of the Castrol and Valvoline/Roush, nobody can really answer your question but simply offer their opinion. Purolator Pure One and Amsoil EAO synthetic filters are excellent filters. In past oil analysis tests I sent in on other cars, I mainly stuck to Amsoil but either one would be a great choice. I won't run a Ford filter knowing how well the Pure One and Amsoil work. Is the Ford sufficient? Yes. The best? Not IMHO.

Ford oil for me....still waiting on someone running Castrol and Roush to post up an oil sample (if I missed it, just let me know). Until such time, I won't use them especially since I am modified....need to see how they hold up first. Ideally, the same person would post up a test on each brand of oil. I was the test monkey on previous cars using all synthetic oils and found some oils gave up the ghost in half the time as others despite technically "meeting spec". I'm not doing that with this car. You could step up and be that guy though - it would be an excellent contribution to the site. On the warranty note, read the fine print when you use a synthetic oil...there is usually a clause that voids the "oil warranty" if your car is modified. They obviously don't openly advertise that little nugget, if you happen to be someone who wants to rely on those types of warranty claims. So if you use an oil and you don't pay attention to if it is actually standing up to the strains you are placing on it then end up with an actual oil-related failure, you will be SOL if your car is modified. Just something to be aware of.

Despite what anyone posts about how X oil is better than Y oil, or Z oil "works for me without issue" you will only know for sure by sending in an oil sample and having the oil tested.

It would be nice if those running different oils would drop the $20 and send in an oil sample so we know how the other oils are holding up to the strains of a supercharger. Oils that stand up in a NA car don't always withstand the burdens of a turbo or supercharger so you can't really rely on what you may have used in another vehicle. It would be a great, legitimate unbiased resource for the community as well as reduce the oil-brand loyalty battles.

For peace of mind, I would take a small sample of your current oil and send it in - they will tell you what viscosity it is. If it comes back as a 5w20, you can bring that back to the dealer.

Search on my posts, I sent my first oil change in and got the read out. I use blackstone but there are other companies out there too. The documented oil samples each oil change also allow you to show that the Amsoil filter is working (I use that or Pure One) and if there is a warranty question, they can't point to the oil filter or some other lame excuse. X brand may work for someone else but you may not have the same mods or drive your car the same way. But at least you know the oil isn't toast at 2K miles if someone posts a test... Plus, it provides a future owner with a little peace of mind.

In regards to using a dealership, when I was out of town I had my father drive my GT500 and when it was time for an oil change, the head mechanic did it. He also let my father gather oil in an oil sample container and was overall a nice, competent fella. The mechanic wouldn't let anyone else at the dealership touch "his GT500". Pays to go back and meet the people sometimes.

Lots claim to be obsessive on their oil but none rise to my apparent crazy level of dropping $20 and doing a real test...:lol1: :poke:

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Amsoil, im a dealer. I also sell alot on car forums as well as here.

Last I checked, Amsoil did not offer the proper weight. Do you know offer the proper 5w50 weight that meets spec? I've used Amsoil for a long time but not in this car as there was nothing offered.

Last edited:

RussZTT

Established Member
Last I checked, Amsoil did not offer the proper weight. Do you know offer the proper 5w50 weight that meets spec? I've used Amsoil for a long time but not in this car as there was nothing offered.
hmm you're correct. The closest I see is 5w-40.

RedlineHP

Established Member
5/50 motorcraft & FRPP oil filter.
Would like to use Mobil 1 EP, which I run in my DD and am very happy with, but it's not availble in 5/50 or meet B spec.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
5/50 motorcraft & FRPP oil filter.
Would like to use Mobil 1 EP, which I run in my DD and am very happy with, but it's not availble in 5/50 or meet B spec.

someone awhile back actually used mobil 1 5w-50 which is very hard to get, an had it tested an the oil was not holding up.

Spectre500

23yrs USAF RET
Established Member
Best Oil & Filter

Sounds good thanks all for your input.

My 2C is since Ill change the oil out @ 1/2 The oil life to preclude any possibility of oil break down and to just keep it fresh.

Motorcraft 5w50/ Roush/Valvoline looks like the safest untill lab results come back from the other heavy hitters like Moble 1 and Castrol.

Ill run with the Motorcraft and the 820s filter for now.

Can I get the FRPP filter P/N and Amsoil P/N, its my belief that you cant have to much insurance on your cars life blood.

BTW I know amsoil is a great product I use it in my Giant scale RC aircraft.

Thanks for the links guys

Evasive, I may just try Castrol full syn and have the oil analysis done after i get her past 3K

Cheers

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
someone awhile back actually used mobil 1 5w-50 which is very hard to get, an had it tested an the oil was not holding up.

That doesn't surprise me - I've never had Mobil 1 hold up under any turbo or supercharged application according to the oil analysis I sent in. I won't run Mobil 1 in anything anymore as it did not maintain its useful life as long as other oils.

Edited to add the oil analysis in, sorry for leaving that part out.

Last edited:

kens88gt

Established Member
Anyone know why Castrol won't or can't get their 5W50 certified to the "B" spec? If you go onto their web site they recommned it for the GT500.
Seems to me that if they got certiifed they would sell tons of it due to the price difference.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Perhaps it can't stand up to the beating of the supercharger? A lot of oils can't take the additional burden of a supercharger or turbo...the Audi RS4 humbled a few different attempts at an oil that could stand up to the stress that car handed out :) Or they don't want to jump through the hoops.

6-Speed

Established Member
Anyone know why Castrol won't or can't get their 5W50 certified to the "B" spec? If you go onto their web site they recommned it for the GT500.
Seems to me that if they got certiifed they would sell tons of it due to the price difference.
The Syntec PDS claims it exceeds the Ford WSS-M2C931-B spec. Last time I checked the back of a bottle, it still only listed Ford WSS-M2C931-A.

See the PDS link below:

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf

6-Speed

Established Member
Perhaps it can't stand up to the beating of the supercharger? A lot of oils can't take the additional burden of a supercharger or turbo...the Audi RS4 humbled a few different attempts at an oil that could stand up to the stress that car handed out :) Or they don't want to jump through the hoops.
The engine oil does not lubricate the supercharger in our cars like it does for Turbochargers. The SC is internally lubricated.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The engine oil does not lubricate the supercharger in our cars like it does for Turbochargers. The SC is internally lubricated.

I know...I've owned turbo cars as well (and considered the Hellion kit for this car). A supercharger still puts more stress on the oil than a NA motor. It does not have to run through the power adder to feel the effects of said power adder. An oil that performs well in a NA car may or may not perform well in the GT500. My mods put more stress on the oil than a stock car....that's another reason I run my own oil tests instead of relying on someone else's opinion.

Another benefit of the test - they can tell you how much life is left in the oil so you can gauge when you need to change it next time instead of simply dumping it at some random time based on your gut. Or you can drain some out at 1,000 miles and send it in if you happen to care...some don't, some do. I personally just like knowing because I enjoying feeding my OCD from time to time :lol1: Really an individual choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread