best mods for 98?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Steeda Pulies and Timing Adjusters - around $400 and gain around 20 RWHP and RWTQ

Basanni X pipe with cats - around $600 and gain 15 RWHP and RWTQ

Densecharger full to TB kit - around $200 and gain a good 5 RWHP and RWTQ plus all around better throttle response.

Ford FRPP gear with speedo compensator. $200 gear,$100 speedo compensator, $250 in installation charges including fluids etc. The addition of an FRPP Aluminum driveshaft at the same time would be a good idea also. Most places won't even charge you to add this one in when changing gears. around $200 for the driveshaft. Minimal HP increase, as with any reduction of ratational weight though. There is some gain, plus it allows the engine to rev quicker.

As above the Aluminum Flywheel wil net similar results. around $400 for the FW and around $200 on the install.

Here are a few starting ideas. I'm sure there are plenty of other items other members can point out that are helpful.

PS total was 2550, that leaves room for error on my part. ;-)

drewkeen

SVT
Established Member
if you have 3k, no offense but DO NOT go bolt-ons you will be very disappointed. Buy a vortech s-trim, slap it on and have more power than an 03 cobra and less weight thanks to your aluminum block and solid rear axle, but thats just my tohughts and you will be disappointed after bolt-ons.

max

Established Member
I realize a s/c'd dohc is quicker than the n/a dohc, but some people like n/a better. Besides, I'm not disappointed in my bolt ons. :D

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
I would have to say, GR8WHITE, has given a very good list for under $3k........ But the SC does not sound bad either, maybe I am a little bias. :-D

However, most SC systems are slightly above $3k...... plus installation, unless you choose to do yourself. If not plan on another $800-$1,000 for install..

There is always the idea of nitrous, but personally, I like to stay away form the spray, too volatile.... Just my $.02

shoguy

postwhore in training
Established Member
i agree cullen i dis like the idea of nitous to ....btw the car is not mine a freind asked me to ask so he could see what mods he could do with his money

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by shoguy
i agree cullen i dis like the idea of nitous to ....btw the car is not mine a freind asked me to ask so he could see what mods he could do with his money

You get the best bang for your buck with nitrous, just too risky..... Honestly, GR8WHITE's list is a good place to start, working your way up to the big SC.... Even a better flowing cat back system to go along with the X pipe, will add HP, usually in the range of 10-15..... Also rear gears as previously mentioned, they do not add power but get the car out of the hole much quicker.... Hope things go well for your buddy....:thumbsup:

shoguy

postwhore in training
Established Member
once again i couldn't agree more ... i belive as you do nitrous is to risky it also kills your engine slowly

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Well most of the bolt-on mods are still useable with a SC. The only exception I can think of would be pullies and timing adjusters.

I am the BIGGEST FAN of boost. I am a complete junky for it. The SC kits run anywhere from $3600 up though. They make 400RWHP on 96-98 cars quite easily. They are labor intensive to install, especially if you buy one that requires an oil pan line. I just think it is better to get your feet wet before you go jumping in over your head.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Holy crap guys, I don't know where you are getting stuff installed and buying your parts but wow. I paid $2700 for my V2 kit and $400 for install plus the benefit of actually being able to watch the install so that I learned and have done it myself a couple of times now.

Cullen Wharton

END GAME!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah
Holy crap guys, I don't know where you are getting stuff installed and buying your parts but wow. I paid $2700 for my V2 kit and $400 for install plus the benefit of actually being able to watch the install so that I learned and have done it myself a couple of times now.

Booyah,
People in this area are expensive... Pittsburgh is SEVERLY lacking in performance shops. Since, my install, I have found other reputable shops, but not many. I prefer to do the work myslef anyway.....

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by Cullen Wharton

...... I prefer to do the work myslef anyway.....

That is my thinking exactly. That is also when you get the most enjoyment out of something. When you can stand back, look at your timeslip, and say I did that. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread