Best mods for $600 on bone stock 01

SSWWRITE

Established Member
I have a bone stock 01 eith 12000 miles. I want to mod something this winter. any suggestions. I know for sure I am doing a tri-ax or pro 5.0 but other than that not sure. I do autocross when I can and no drag race.

Thanks

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
pull the pumpkin yourself and have a buddy do gears, save yourself some money, then with whats left over get a used cat-back, will give some HP and give the car some more attitude. Should be able to get a shifter, cat-back used, and new gears for around 600, if you do it right. THen you could find a used cai. It adds up really quick, but if you can, pull the pumpkin yourself and save the labor, its costly to take these someplace for gears.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
If you get gears dont forget to include either a speedcal or a Predator into the price. I vote for gears and a Predator. Its more expensive but itll change your speedo for different gear ratios, turn off your rear 02 sensors if/when you get an O/R X or H pipe, and it will load a more aggresive tune into the EEC. Once you buy the mil eliminators and the speed cal the price difference from a used one on ebay isnt that much. Thats where I got mine from for $320 shipped.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Gears technically bump you into a different AutoX class (assuming you don't get something higher than 3.55s)

Of course, since there is really no way to TELL when someone switches gears...

Anyone have any experience with gears and AutoX - short gears might actually be bad because it will require more shifting (and therefore make you more likely to upset the car's balance).

Looks like CAI, Exhaust, and Shifter are your best bets.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Of course, since there is really no way to TELL when someone switches gears...

Actually there is a way but you have to jack the rearend of the car up and count how many times the driveshaft turns for each revolution of the wheels. I think thats right but it could be the other way around. :burnout:

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
All these votes for gears? I didn't know there were that many of us who don't do most of their driving on the highway. I can't see 4.30s being viable for someone who spends most of their driving over 75mph (personally, when I go into work at 430am, I cruise around 110, 4.30s definately won't work for me without a t56 swap)

$600 won't get you that much performance. For that small amount, you might as well do something that you're going to notice, and makes you enjoy driving more.

EXHAUST: Listen to all of them, and choose a midpipe and catback.

ian022

Established Member
guys,
gears are great but, he's gonna break his halfshafts. Looking back at the post, I notice that he doesn't drag race but....how long will the stock halfshafts last?? i've been hearing that you can break the stock halfshafts with the stock setup and drag radials......that's what sucks about the irs cars, if you get gears you gotta spend some money on halfshafts....and i hear that you need an alum. driveshaft too because the stocker isn't balanced to spin that much faster.
driveshaft shop has halfshafts for $550 bucks i think.
does anyone out there have a set of 4.30's with the stock halfshafts??
Ian

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
from what I see, there are tons of people runnin 4.10's, 4.30's,a nd 4.56s on the stock half shafts and drive shaft. Its simple, drag the thing on the stock ones until they break, or if it is ure daily driver, be easy on it at the strip. I am sure 4.10's or 4.30s are not gonna alone cause u to bust shafts unless u are doing clutchdrops at 5k for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread