Best long tubes for 1988 supercharged

adams

Established Member
I know it may be covered in the search option but I had trouble finding info on my setup.
I have a 1988 mustang supercharged with aluminum heads. The gasket size is 1 3/4 and looks more like a ford big block port opening.
I have a set of hedman headers on it now but they keep blowing the gaskets out constantly so I assume the flange is warped or the bolts are backing out.

Just wondering what are aome good long tube header options for my car. Something mid range in price and with half decent quality. At order a set of ford racing locking header bolts but haven't decided if I need the 3/4 inch ones or the inch ones.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

adams

Established Member
Ok I will have to see of they make one with the right size opening. See what options they have. I think my car came with hedman headers and they have seen their day. Flange possibly is warped and it looks like a 5 year old welded them.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Yeah man sounds like they are done, but you may find a nice used set on the forum and save some $$$$

adams

Established Member
Yeah il have to check the forum. Also a question... If I'm running aluminum larger port heads (oval port) do I need to look for a 1.75 opening header or can I still run the 1 5/8 standard size.

adams

Established Member
Thank you. Just got to figure out what header will fit. Reading up it seems like only certain headers work with aluminum oval port heads.

adams

Established Member
Oh I forgot one more question. Some headers don't work with certain heads due to spark plug angle. Does anyone know if aluminum heads normally have a different angle? Such as the gt-40 heads etc?

adams

Established Member
Thank you I will call. I found a se to mr gasket copper gaskets which should be better than the standard ones. Not sure If any other company makes any. Now I just got to decide if I want to change the setup from bolts to studs or buy ford racing locking header bolts or the stage 8 ones.

Just tired of exhaust leaks

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Bolts are much easier to work with then studs for sure. I would get new factory bolts and call it a day on that.

Also if you can use factory gaskets I would recommend that as well they do work just as well.

Just my opinion as i have done this before and only used factory parts.

adams

Established Member
Yeah I would love to use factory gaskets but I don't think the factory gaskets match up to the different heads

adams

Established Member
Yeah pretty surest aluminum heads run a taller port. Thanks for all the help though! I'd love to run factory hardware but the ford racing locking bolts may have to be the ones.

Studs would be nice cause there's less chance of stripping the threads in the head since the heads are softer aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread