Best hot dog sauce (chili) recipe ?

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Skyline Chili. You should be able to find it at Kroger. But I'm up for some homemade recipes!

dooberGN

Established Member
The best chili for hot dogs is always Greek style chili and it always contains cinnamon.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
The best chili for hot dogs is always Greek style chili and it always contains cinnamon.

Agreed. Greek is the best. I hadn't heard the cinnamon thing before. I've heard a couple other spices, but not that one. I will have to try that. Do you have a recipe?

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Reference my reply to the subject. Skyline has cinnamon & cocoa in it. It's great stuff. I'm still waiting for homemade recipes though.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
OP, what I've found is that hot dog chili recipes are closely guarded secrets for some reason. It also depends on what style you like - Greek, Coney, etc as some are tomato-based and others are not. Let me dig around and see what I can find. I know I have some I've tried before.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
And, IRRC, it's believed that many of the real Coney style sauces include organ meat - beef heart, suet, etc., which sounds disgusting, so I've never tried to recreate that sauce.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I like whatever chili type is on the hotdog at Ben's Chili bowl if anyone knows what kind that is.

I was really excited to try that place when I was in DC, but I thought it was average. It was too greasy for my liking. People love that place though.

In general, most chilis are the same base ingredients - chili powder, cumin, onion/garlic powder, and paprika. Celery salt is another common one.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I hope you dig one up. Im doing a trial run this weekend. The US government cant keep a secret like hot dog sauce. Crazy !

OP, what I've found is that hot dog chili recipes are closely guarded secrets for some reason. It also depends on what style you like - Greek, Coney, etc as some are tomato-based and others are not. Let me dig around and see what I can find. I know I have some I've tried before.

ACESnEIGHTS

Established Member
Sry I don't have a recipe, grew up in Cincinnati been addicted to skyline cheese coney's all my life. I moved to Indiana back in the late 80's and shortly there after they started up some skyline restaurants here in Indy WooT!!! Was a happy day indeed.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
And, IRRC, it's believed that many of the real Coney style sauces include organ meat - beef heart, suet, etc., which sounds disgusting, so I've never tried to recreate that sauce.

But isnt that what the hot dog is made of?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
But isnt that what the hot dog is made of?

Might be...? I don't really know. Although, that might explain why some chili recipes call for ground hot dogs.

Ignorance is bliss for me. Unknowingly eating beef suet is one thing, but knowingly purchasing and cooking with it is another.

Users who are viewing this thread