Best gears for turbo application?

THAITED

Established Member
Hey THAITED. From my experience in driving both cars, my dad owns both a Terminator and a C6 Z06, the Terminator requires you to shift sooner than the Z06, probably due to the final drive ratio. Here are some solid numbers for you if you're a numbers kind of guy:

Terminator T56

Gear
Ratio

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

Reverse

Final Drive

Corvette C6 Z06
1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

Reverse

Final Drive

:beer:

That's very nice of you, thank you.

goat-ee

Established Member
Do you have a T56? With the right gearing you might be able to get pretty close to 60mph....you'll have to see after you get it done and start tearin' em up. :)

It's a pushrod 331 c.i. setup and I made 8XXrwhp on full boost through an auto. But so far I am still almost 8+psi from my max at the track as I have the boost controller down right now. I never place much emphasis on dyno sheets. How it performs at the track is how I've always determined if my cars run the way they should. But when I crank the rest of the boost out and get my 60' down I'm really hoping for some 8.9s at close to 160mph. As it keeps cooling down I'm sure it won't be a problem and when it happens I will surely have a camera so I can post it up.

I guess the only way for me to figure out what my power is would be to get an estimate by calculating what it would take for a car that weighs about 2900 lbs (w/o driver) to go the trap speeds I'm going but as long as I reach my goal I would care if it read 200rwhp.

I am hoping I don't come across the wrong way here, but...the gear used with a guy with a 331 stroker pushrod motor making 8xx rwhp, auto trans and weighing 2900lbs. is almost completely irrelevent to what a full weight 5xx rwhp 2V or 4V motor with 8-15 psi, 5spd needs for a gear. I also am looking for the answer to what gear my car needs, but I think you have to compare apples to apples. And maybe a 3.27 is what our cars need or maybe it isn't, but using your car as the example (while totally badass), is not what's needed in this case IMO.

Last edited:

61mmstang94

Established Member
I am hoping I don't come across the wrong way here, but...the gear used with a guy with a 331 stroker pushrod motor making 8xx rwhp, auto trans and weighing 2900lbs. is almost completely irrelevent to what a full weight 5xx rwhp 2V or 4V motor with 8-15 psi, 5spd needs for a gear. I also am looking for the answer to what gear my car needs, but I think you have to compare apples to apples. And maybe a 3.27 is what our cars need or maybe it isn't, but using your car as the example (while totally badass), is not what's needed in this case IMO.

I ran the same gears when I had my T56 and full weight as well and they worked great if that makes you feel any better. :)

I've already mentioned there are differences and that tires also play a role. If you're looking for some magically perfect gear then take you shit to the track and start testing and tuning to figure out the "perfect" gear to get your desired RPM through the traps. Otherwise the gears I reccomended would be a very good start (far better than something like 3.73s) and work well for a 6-speed.

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
I ran the same gears when I had my T56 and full weight as well and they worked great if that makes you feel any better. :)

I've already mentioned there are differences and that tires also play a role. If you're looking for some magically perfect gear then take you shit to the track and start testing and tuning to figure out the "perfect" gear to get your desired RPM through the traps. Otherwise the gears I reccomended would be a very good start (far better than something like 3.73s) and work well for a 6-speed.

I think the point of these forums is to find someone with a similar setup with a before and after to help get close. Obviously if no similar combo is available than yes, taking my "shit" to strip is the only other option. My guess is that someone out there has been through the same thing and is willing to share that info. I have bought a 3.55 gear to replace the 4.10's I had when I was on nitrous. That seems to be a compromise gear from what I have read. Next spring when I go back out to the strip with the gear I will post the results and the difference between the two.

I hope you have not taken my comments wrong, I think I speak for everyone reading this thread...Thank you for your help!!

61mmstang94

Established Member
I think the point of these forums is to find someone with a similar setup with a before and after to help get close. Obviously if no similar combo is available than yes, taking my "shit" to strip is the only other option. My guess is that someone out there has been through the same thing and is willing to share that info. I have bought a 3.55 gear to replace the 4.10's I had when I was on nitrous. That seems to be a compromise gear from what I have read. Next spring when I go back out to the strip with the gear I will post the results and the difference between the two.

I hope you have not taken my comments wrong, I think I speak for everyone reading this thread...Thank you for your help!!

No, I didn't mean for that reply to be offensive. But you can try the 3.55s and you might like them. I just know that through my experience the 3.31s have been a pretty good match with the T56 and a turbo setup. Depending on a lot of other factors like RPM and tire size you could be just fine with the 3.55s and if not you can easily have them swapped out for a better choice.

Good luck with your setup!

goat-ee

Established Member
No, I didn't mean for that reply to be offensive. But you can try the 3.55s and you might like them. I just know that through my experience the 3.31s have been a pretty good match with the T56 and a turbo setup. Depending on a lot of other factors like RPM and tire size you could be just fine with the 3.55s and if not you can easily have them swapped out for a better choice.

Good luck with your setup!

I know your running a bunch of boost now, did you ever run the 3.31 gear with around 10psi and if so, did you like it then?

61mmstang94

Established Member
I know your running a bunch of boost now, did you ever run the 3.31 gear with around 10psi and if so, did you like it then?

How much power do you think you'll make at 10psi? And is that all you'll ever be running when you're at the track?

goat-ee

Established Member
I don't know what the power will be at 10psi, it hasn't been dyno'ed, maybe 475ish? And yea, until I get a forged botom end, I am already pushing my luck, so no more than the 10psi even at the track.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
The only down side to running a 28" tire is, that if your car is lowerd and weight transfers well you could rub tire on fender.

61mmstang94

Established Member
I don't know what the power will be at 10psi, it hasn't been dyno'ed, maybe 475ish? And yea, until I get a forged botom end, I am already pushing my luck, so no more than the 10psi even at the track.

You'll still be good with 3.31s and you'll love them with the turbo.

Believe me, when I did my first turbo setup I initially left the gears I had in my car (I think 3.73s at the time) and I hated them. Went to 3.31s and it picked up at the track and needless to say, on the road from a roll it was definately much faster and cruised at better RPMs.

Most people who complain about poor performance with their turbo and serious turbo lag either have one (or more) things wrong with their car: rear and/or trans gearing, a poor tune, or a turbo that's too large for their setup. If you get the right size turbo for the power you're looking to make and you have the right gearing then it'll fly. Going with a 6-speed and 3.73s is not really a good option for a turbo and you'll have more difficulty keeping boost up and staying in the sweet spot of your powerband like a set of 3.31s would do. It sometimes confuses people because they're so used to an n/a or supercharged setup where 3.73s or 4.10s were the way to go and now they're being told they should look into 3.31s or 3.27s lol.

Last edited:

blowngt

Established Member
3.31 here.

Keep one thing in mind.......if you change tire size, gearing will be effected.

I ran 133 on 26" tires one night and 131 on 28" tires the next. Relatively same temps, same set up, same boost level, same track.

Users who are viewing this thread