"Best" gear ratio?

stags

Established Member
So here is the deal gents. I am exceedingly happy with my car with the exception of the whiny rear end. I'm coming to the conclusion that the 3.73s just whine. Rather than fight it, I'd just as soon go to a less whine prone ratio. My gut would say 3.55 but I want to do choose with my future plans for the car in mind.

Some pertinent Deets:
It's an m6
Car currently has no power mods
Will likely see a boss mani, either off-road x or kooks LTs plus green cats, and a tune in the immediate future
In the very distant future I can't rule out a blower but Im not set on one
Car is a dd including highway trips so that rules out 4.10
Would love to be competitive for road racing/ autox and at a drag strip. Would be nice to go 1/4 without shifting to 5th, but my heart lies in the road course and mountain twisties

What's your thoughts? What's gonna git er dun?

stangn

Established Member
Most everyone on here will tell you 3:15's no more than 3:55. Myself with A6 I have 3:80's (9") and 1/4 traps in 4th at over 7000 with 305-45-18 on a 10" wheel 1:50 in the 60'. 2.9 Whipple car low boost.

I believe in old school torque multiplication . New school seems to be a bit different. Road coarse I would go at least 3:73 (8.8). Keep the RPM's up.

Opinions are like a-- holes, everyone has one. Lol

stags

Established Member
I understand it's a question with a lot of opinions and perspectives and likely no universal "right" answer but I understand that and based on members experiences I hope I can make the right judgement for my particular needs. Thanks for the input- i can only imagine how that thing must launch with that new whipple!

ironreaper23

Established Member
Stock/minor bolt-ons/tune keep it at 3.73s. It's probably right at the peek for having lots of fun and almost too aggressive. With a supercharger, you will want to lower to most likely 3.31s.

I had 3.73s with stock, tuned, headers and it was lots of fun. I supercharged with the 3.73s and it was managable, but pretty much without better tires, you'll be in spin city. I have since swapped to a Tremec Magnum with 4.10s, my overall ratios match closely with stock m6 with 3.31s and it is just about perfect.

If you have traction problems with any setup, get better tires, check your suspension, or go 3.55 or 3.31.

Million ways to do it. So ymmv.

Last edited:

Flcracker

Established Member
From my experience, the 3.31s did not get me going quickly enough with my 550whp 490 tq TVS. With the 3.31s, the car was very lazy until 3500rmp. That changed when I had the magnum xl with the 2.97 gears installed . Now it actually pulls from 1200 rmp without too much wheel spin. It's way more fun just putting around now too because it has power down low. Hey ironreaper, is your magnum xl a 2.66 gear setup? I really don't intend to change the topic, but I was wondering if you noticed the weight of your magnum xl?

Last edited:

ironreaper23

Established Member
I have a 2.97 magnum with a 4.10 rear. overall ratio in each gear are similar to MT82 and 3.31s. I am not saying I don't spin, but I drive more on the street so it just takes some control of throttle if pushed.

Significantly noticed the driveline weight drop when I switched over, but I did clutch-trans-driveshaft all at once.

Users who are viewing this thread