Best gear for Roll racing?

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
if you are going to flame don't even post. Mainly i do 40-140+ pulls and i'm looking for the perfect gear for that on the auto tranny. I currently have 3.15s and i know 3.31's are supposedly the best for 1/4 mile racing. I was debating 3.55's but i figured i would ask everyones opinion. Also where is the cheapest place to get an install kit? Thanks!

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I would assume whatever gear/wheel combo puts you at 140mph at the top of 5th provided 5th is the 1:1 ratio gear. Its all about getting the tightest ratio so your at the top of your RPM band at the finish of the race. Same thing with 1/4 mile racing. If the gearing in the Auto is similar to the M6 I would think a 3:55 would not be a bad choice. But I would have to go look up the trans gear ratios and put them into my gear calculator. The height of your wheels also plays a factor in the equation.

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
Gear ratios
1st 4.17
2nd 2.34
3rd 1.52
4th 1.14
5th 0.87
6th 0.69
Final drive 3.15:1

as of right now i have 285/35/19's on the rear of the car.Also i believe touselys ford is the cheapest i will get the install kit for $82.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
i have a M6 with 3.73's and i do more shifting than driving while roll racing. It blows. I was thinking about swapping out mine for 3.31's or 3.15's.

BV600

Established Member
Do you have a converter yet?
I vote 3.55s. I have a manual and 3.73s and Im tired of shifting so much.

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
Do you have a converter yet?
I vote 3.55s. I have a manual and 3.73s and Im tired of shifting so much.

No converter and i don't plan on buying one now. Only mods im doing will be a driveshaft, headers, and gears this year.

I think im going with 3.55's. The 3.73 has me shifting into 5th at 137mph and i think that will hurt me in the long run.

stock 3.15s compared to 3.55's:
f1wfw3.jpg

i have a M6 with 3.73's and i do more shifting than driving while roll racing. It blows. I was thinking about swapping out mine for 3.31's or 3.15's.

My car shifts are super fast and i believe are tranny gearing is a lot different.

Ozzy5_0

Established Member
No converter and i don't plan on buying one now. Only mods im doing will be a driveshaft, headers, and gears this year.

I think im going with 3.55's. The 3.73 has me shifting into 5th at 137mph and i think that will hurt me in the long run.

stock 3.15s compared to 3.55's:
f1wfw3.jpg

My car shifts are super fast and i believe are tranny gearing is a lot different.

What site is that calculator from?

Drufuss

Established Member
I have 3.31s, but have a set of rims and tires I drag with (oe 17in bullits) that creates a 3.58 final drive. I like the gear so much I'll be installing the 3.55s instead of the 3.73s that I've already purchased. While it isn't quite an apples to apples comparison- I do feel like the stock 3.31 is a bit tall for MY N/A application (both roll and drag).

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I have 3.31s, but have a set of rims and tires I drag with (oe 17in bullits) that creates a 3.58 final drive. I like the gear so much I'll be installing the 3.55s instead of the 3.73s that I've already purchased. While it isn't quite an apples to apples comparison- I do feel like the stock 3.31 is a bit tall for MY N/A application (both roll and drag).
Are you going to be retaining that same wheel setup with the 3.55s?

Molonlabemike

Established Member
I like being at the top of second or top of third for roll races. Being I'm a M6 with 3:31 that's about 40mph

Drufuss

Established Member
Are you going to be retaining that same wheel setup with the 3.55s?

Probably not. If I switch to the 3.55s I'll try to find a tire that'll help me dial in my final drive, or go with a slick on a cheap OE 15in.

I run a tire shop and had these rims hanging around when I bought my car, so instead of ripping up my pirellis I spent $130 and put some cheapo rubber in there to abuse and drag race with. From time to time. Swap out tires for a different aspect ratio to see how differently the car pulls under a different final drive gear.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Probably not. If I switch to the 3.55s I'll try to find a tire that'll help me dial in my final drive, or go with a slick on a cheap OE 15in.

I run a tire shop and had these rims hanging around when I bought my car, so instead of ripping up my pirellis I spent $130 and put some cheapo rubber in there to abuse and drag race with. From time to time. Swap out tires for a different aspect ratio to see how differently the car pulls under a different final drive gear.

Lucky. I figured you wouldn't, but just wanted to ask. I'm going to get a 27x10.5 for mine eventually only because I'll be running N/A for awhile and I should be right at the top of 4th through the traps at the power level I'm stopping at for awhile.

13DIB5.0

Established Member
believe it or not from the research I did my 3.90s have helped a lot when roll racing but im a supercharged 6spd car who does 20,40 and 60 to 140+ rolls , instant response and the gear swap put me in the sweet spot of my powerband, btw I came from 3.55s and I run a 275/40r18 tire in the rear (26.5 inches)

Users who are viewing this thread