Best front Big Brake kit for the money?

d1sc46

Established Member
I probably shouldn't spend the money lol, but after all my HP mods I need some better brakes. Deciding between the 2000 Cobra R, Baer 4 piston, or Wilwoods. Anyone made the swap, and is it worth it? Thanks for reading

93VORTECH

Established Member
I have the Brembo Kit with Hawk Pads and Stainless Braided Brake Lines...Stops very nicely.

Last edited:

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
This last winter I had to make this choice. It kinda depends on your car... I was given some great advice from the members here so I'll pass it along. The stock brakes when upgraded some can handle the power you added to you car. I'm over 600rwhp and after the updates to the brake system I'm totally happy with my choice.
Upgrade to stainless steal lines maximum motorsports sells a kit
Hawk brake pads I'm using the high performance street ( the blue box)
A decent set of rotors some say drilled some say slotted and so on... that's your choice
Also a good dot 4 brake fluid. I used a German brand if you search brake fluid it will pop up.

I also rebuilt my brakes the fronts are simple to do so at least do them its like 10 buck for the seals the rears are a pain...

I would say my car stops 25% better than it did with just a power stop brake and rotors kit. So if your running just stock brakes I bet you will be close to 30% better stopping power.

The reason I went this route is I wanted to do the large 14 inch brake kit when I do a brake updrade but you need bigger wheels and I'm running stock rims currently so until I get the wheels these will do.

But with upgraded ss lines hawk racing pads nice rotors and dot 4 fluid you should be able to stop you car with the current brakes safety at around 400 dollars if you do the work yourself.

Last edited:

dam2v

Slow Cobras INC
Established Member
I went with the TPS Motorsports 6P Baer kit for $1250. I also purchased FTBR 2 piece rotors (front), stainless lines, rear hawk pads, rear slotted rotors and 6 pints of motul 5.1 fluid for about $2k out the door. I financed them for 1 year @ 0% intrest.

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
I got the bear 6p easy to install uses stock size rotors and easy to find brake pads what more can you ask for. Plus they actually use bolts to keep the brakes on instead of pins. Plus if your building for autocross you can't go wrong and they fit behind stock wheels and mach 1 afs wheels

94slowbra1

Established Member
i personally like the look of the baer 6ps vs the wilwoods. i dont like to see the bolts that hold the caliper together, baer has a much cleaner look. not to mention they use a stock c6 vette pad (pad choice is endless) and can use the oem rotor until your budget permits to buy either a 13" or 14" two piece. also ive had very good customer service from baer

d1sc46

Established Member
I like the Cobra R Brembos because of price.. But would have them painted red since my car is a 10th anniversary. Yet, if no big improvement over stock Cobra calipers, I'd be upset lol.

96gt02

Established Member
Is it possible to just buy the brembo front claipers only? Would be cheaper to piece it all out if possible

94slowbra1

Established Member
the brembo 00r's are definitely an upgrade over the stockers. as far as piecing that kit together they may use a different rotor, plus a full kit is only around 1k if i remember correctly. in order to have a good performing system, in addition to the calipers you will need a good pad, good fluid and some stainless line

stradt03

Established Member
My vote goes to Wilwood. I have their big brake kit on the front and rear.

IMAG1706.jpg

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
If you have 18" wheels, you might as well go to a 14" brake kit if you're spending the money. I went with FTBRs 14" Brembo front kit, and 13" rotor kit for the rear. Vintage Venom also makes a reasonably priced 14" front Brembo kit.

Users who are viewing this thread