Best E-85 Fuel Stabilizer

quad

Established Member
I will be upgrading my Cobra to a Whipple 2.9 with supporting mods and will be running E-85 soon. The car is stored for up to 6 months a year.

In the past I would fill the tank half way with 93 octane, add the appropriate amount of Stabil Gas Stabilizer for a full tank, and then fill the res of the tank with 93 octane. I would then drive the car for about 5 miles to help circulate the mixture. The car would then be stored for 6 months and I have been doing this for the past 8 years now with no problems.

What should I do with the E85 fuel since I read the water will separate from the fuel relatively quickly? I will obviously fill the tank to the top and put a cover over the car.

Is this product a good option or are you guys using anything else? Should I mix it the way I mixed Stabil (1/2 tank, add stabil, fill up and drive 5 miles)?

A96E3BDA312A9971D1B585D09C66841D.gif

Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers : Lucas Oil

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

MWoods26

Established Member
Im subbing to this.. I just went to e85 this summer. I live in Ohio and we get a different blend in the winter months. I was looking into buying 100 gallons or so to get me through untill the summer blend comes back. I was trying to find some of the same info as you about how to stabilize it. I read it will be fine if it stays in a sealed drum but Im not going to be able to keep it sealed since I plan to use it all through the winter on nice days when I can get the car out.

quad

Established Member
Im subbing to this.. I just went to e85 this summer. I live in Ohio and we get a different blend in the winter months. I was looking into buying 100 gallons or so to get me through untill the summer blend comes back. I was trying to find some of the same info as you about how to stabilize it. I read it will be fine if it stays in a sealed drum but Im not going to be able to keep it sealed since I plan to use it all through the winter on nice days when I can get the car out.

I hear ya. At some gas stations in my area they switch to E79 around Mid October. There is a tester from Summit that will show how much Octane is in the fuel. I probably will get one of those since it's only $15.

Quick Fuel 36-E85 - Quick Fuel E85 Fuel Testers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

MWoods26

Established Member
I just bought that exact same tester off ebay for 18 bucks shipped. It came in the mail yesterday and the e85 I have right now tested at 90.

Yaadman_GT

Yaadman_GT
Established Member
I have been using the Lucas stuff for a while and I can tell for sure it works. The E85 here in Omaha is very inconsistent in quality (octane) and cleanliness. I use 1/3 of the bottle every fill up. I recently changed fuel setups to a CP-E Triple Wally 405 pump setup and I took the opportunity to feel around the inside of the tank and there was no varnish buildup at all! I also notice when the car was running (doing upgrades and maintenance at the moment) that there was a significant reduction in the amount of moisture coming from the tailpipes. Post Filter also looked real good.

So my experience, I like it a whole lot better that the Sta-Bil brand stuff and it is very accessible....I get it a Walmart.

I would also recommend for anyone running E85 to get and inline Fuel Pressure gauge BEFORE your filter after the fuel pumps. This will give a good indication if your filter is starting to get clogged. It will (at idle) read your base fuel pressure. Check it if you can about every 500 miles or so and see if the FP at idle is increasing. If it is, it means the filter is coming up due for a change.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I will be upgrading my Cobra to a Whipple 2.9 with supporting mods and will be running E-85 soon. The car is stored for up to 6 months a year.

In the past I would fill the tank half way with 93 octane, add the appropriate amount of Stabil Gas Stabilizer for a full tank, and then fill the res of the tank with 93 octane. I would then drive the car for about 5 miles to help circulate the mixture. The car would then be stored for 6 months and I have been doing this for the past 8 years now with no problems.

What should I do with the E85 fuel since I read the water will separate from the fuel relatively quickly? I will obviously fill the tank to the top and put a cover over the car.

Is this product a good option or are you guys using anything else? Should I mix it the way I mixed Stabil (1/2 tank, add stabil, fill up and drive 5 miles)?

A96E3BDA312A9971D1B585D09C66841D.gif

Safeguard™ Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers : Lucas Oil

Thanks for any input.

ive used this an it seems to work. since i do not DD my car it sits alot so when i still have E85 in the car i use this to mix in it.

quad

Established Member
I have been using the Lucas stuff for a while and I can tell for sure it works. The E85 here in Omaha is very inconsistent in quality (octane) and cleanliness. I use 1/3 of the bottle every fill up. I recently changed fuel setups to a CP-E Triple Wally 405 pump setup and I took the opportunity to feel around the inside of the tank and there was no varnish buildup at all! I also notice when the car was running (doing upgrades and maintenance at the moment) that there was a significant reduction in the amount of moisture coming from the tailpipes. Post Filter also looked real good.

So my experience, I like it a whole lot better that the Sta-Bil brand stuff and it is very accessible....I get it a Walmart.

I would also recommend for anyone running E85 to get and inline Fuel Pressure gauge BEFORE your filter after the fuel pumps. This will give a good indication if your filter is starting to get clogged. It will (at idle) read your base fuel pressure. Check it if you can about every 500 miles or so and see if the FP at idle is increasing. If it is, it means the filter is coming up due for a change.

Thanks for the response. I will get the Lucas brand in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread